craig h

Diluting Fielbings Oil Dye

Can you or how do you dilute Fielbings oil dye to make the color a lighter shade? I'm wanting to make the royal blue a lighter shade if possible. Will denatured alcohol do it.

Thank you.....Craig

The best method of diluting is to use the dye reducer that @JLSleather has provided you a link to.  If you opt to go a different route then you should at least use denatured alcohol; do not use any other alcohols or spirits aside from these two recommended as they can have a lasting damaging impact on the leather.

You can use any of the following with equal effect, and in my experience there is zero difference as far as the leather is concerned.  Isopropyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol, denatured alcohol or any combination of the above will reduce your dye.  Just for fun, here's the pertinent MSDS sheet from Fiebing's that shows they use a combination themselves.  You can avoid shipping and go the the pharmacy on the corner and probably get all three kinds.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/docs/default-source/sds/Fiebings-Leather-Dye-Reducer-50-2049.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.53.47 PM.png

6 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

You can use any of the following with equal effect

Thanks for this excellent help.

I've been pondering a trip to Tandy (2.5 hrs each way) but in the cupboard under my bench I have two of the three!

Whoo Hoo

Why cant we give helpful votes?

Harry

Tooling leather comes largely from cows.  So don't go buy tooling leather, just git yerself some cows, and a good knife ... :rofl:

Seriously, there's a bottle of stuff right on the shelf that is MADE FOR THAT.  And try to lighten up a tad bit.

2 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

Thanks for this excellent help.

I've been pondering a trip to Tandy (2.5 hrs each way) but in the cupboard under my bench I have two of the three!

Whoo Hoo

Why cant we give helpful votes?

Harry

You are most welcome.  I appreciate the thanks, and I hope it helps.

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Tooling leather comes largely from cows.  So don't go buy tooling leather, just git yerself some cows, and a good knife ... :rofl:

Seriously, there's a bottle of stuff right on the shelf that is MADE FOR THAT.  And try to lighten up a tad bit.

Jeff, Happy Thanksgiving, bud.  

11 hours ago, JLSleather said:

:rofl:

I reckon @JLSleather uses this emoji more than all the other folks put together!