PerniciousDuke

Advice for creating weathered black effect?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hoping someone might have advice. I've been a novice leatherworker for years (doing mostly Tandy kits). I'm currently part of a cosplaying forum and I have taken up the challenge of crafting leather armor. 

There is an effect I'm hoping to duplicate. All I can think to describe it is weathered black. Put something truly black next to it and it looks sometimes brown sometimes gray. Here is what I'm hoping to achieve:

Screenshot_20190107-212004_Gallery.thumb.jpg.11ecd3f4681887e07a7bc2f30fa6729d.jpg

Screenshot_20190107-195718_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2b4a1671473a9d943d1e42f6293b0612.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but it is only allowing me to post two photos.

So far I've tried apply clear coat before dyeing black and the result is an ugly gray.

Screenshot_20190107-195817_Gallery.thumb.jpg.998063d7d282984f20cfd078707078ea.jpg

Second I've tried first dying chestnut and then using a black gel. The result is better, but still very brown.

For weathering, why not try to weather the leather?
I usually don't weather leather but if I were to weather leather I would try to simulate the effects of weather on the leather.
Like:
Hit it with a (bike) chain
Baseball bat?
Definitely run it over with a car
Put it on the sidewalk and jump on it
Scuff it with sandpaper
Dunk it in water
Sear it with a torch?
Etc.

This will give it an authentic weathered, used, worn and torn wasteland/fantasy look.

Edited by robs456

Stick it in an old dryer, no heat, along with some rocks and gravel.  If you check the wiring and disconnect the element(s), you only need 110 VAC to spin the dryer.

@PerniciousDuke If you reduce your file size (picture size) to 800 x 600 pixels, you can post tons of photos in one post.

Tom

Hey, it's another Tacoma member! Welcome to the forum.
As for the desired effect, if you can put a clearer picture up, then that will help viewers figure out what look you are trying to replicate. 

Welcome to the forum.

If this was for me and it was simply for show,  I'd craft it from craft foam sheets and pick up a few leather jackets from Value Village to wrap the pieces.  The leather is going to be distressed for you and it will be thin enough to manipulate. Use heavy duty spray adhesive or contact cement to stick the leather to the foam.  Go slowly so you can mold the leather to the details built into the pieces. 

Yet another Tacoma member..

I am thinking the idea of using already weathered leather might be the trick.  Either that or start with brown and layer diluted washed of black over it.  Haven't tried that but worth a shot on some scrap. 

I know that back in the day (when the army used to have black boots) just a couple days in the field, in the snow would weather the leather pretty rapidly.

Grrr. I am not used to your forum. Sorry for the spam.

Anyways. Thank you for the responses. I thought it would email me when you guys messaged here, but I will just check back more often.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, DJole said:

Hey, it's another Tacoma member! Welcome to the forum.
As for the desired effect, if you can put a clearer picture up, then that will help viewers figure out what look you are trying to replicate. 

The reference image is from a video game. This is the best resolution I will be able to display.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Aven said:

Welcome to the forum.

If this was for me and it was simply for show,  I'd craft it from craft foam sheets and pick up a few leather jackets from Value Village to wrap the pieces.  The leather is going to be distressed for you and it will be thin enough to manipulate. Use heavy duty spray adhesive or contact cement to stick the leather to the foam.  Go slowly so you can mold the leather to the details built into the pieces. 

I agree that using already worn leather may be a preferred option. However, the whole reason I'm doing this is because I've been sitting on two half hides for way to long and want to make something noteworthy with it.

I am thinking that I will start a build thread on here so you guys can follow along and give suggestions. I will post the new thread link here once I have made it.

Thanks again!

19 minutes ago, PerniciousDuke said:

I am not used to your forum. Sorry for the spam.

Just don't hit submit more than once.  It takes time for the server and the internet to respond.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Just don't hit submit more than once.  It takes time for the server and the internet to respond.

Tom

I didn't hit submit. I was trying to tag people when the cursor got stuck inside your tag. Trying to get the cursor to move past your tag I clicked around the text field a lot and suddenly there were multiple posts.

Thank you for the advice though. I am familiar with forums, they just each seem to have their own quirks though.

54 minutes ago, PerniciousDuke said:

I agree that using already worn leather may be a preferred option. However, the whole reason I'm doing this is because I've been sitting on two half hides for way to long and want to make something noteworthy with it.

I am thinking that I will start a build thread on here so you guys can follow along and give suggestions. I will post the new thread link here once I have made it.

Thanks again!

What's the leather you have on hand?

Just now, Aven said:

What's the leather you have on hand?

LeatherHideParts-Thickness-Conversion2.jpg.6215c7cc38db1620b1fdba15e1131282.jpg

I bought it years ago, but according to this chart I would say I have (2) Hide Sides that are 7-9oz of Veg Tanned Tooling leather.
Good question.

The new topic is up and running!

Please direct future inquiries in the new thread. Thank you!

It was the kind that I was mostly curious about.  This is going to be an interesting project to watch.  I'm looking forward to it.

washing machine for a round or two? )