28 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

insisting that "flaws" and "defects" are what MAKES it handmade

That's the people not caring to learn things right and just wings it. They want to make a cool 'thing' but it comes out looking crap and then they don't see that their skills are lacking, no of course that's how it's SUPPOSED to look 'cos it's handmade....

I do my best to do things the right way and for me handmade means that I have better 'control' of the product and can make it a little bit 'extra', even if that takes more time. I can't charge extra for that time though, but I will charge more due to the better quality. If that makes sense...

You and I find flaws, . . . probably could find them in each other's work, . . . but so much of the purchasing world out there, . . . they either go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for a big enough reason to get a discount or return it, . . . (maybe 3 - 5 % ), . . . or they unpack it, smile, and go to using it.

The maker knows his mistakes, faults, etc, . . . including how he hid the "charm" and "character".  

Most of my brands, . . . they go inside the holster, . . . it's still branded, . . . but I've never had one come back with that complaint..........lol

May God bless,

Dwight

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

..."charm" and "character" ... ;)

Haha! "charm and character" is what happens to a great item from years of honest use. .

I always laughed at the fact that folks would often pay more, to have someone flail a new piece of furniture with a chain to make it "look" old.
Go figure! :)

Yup.  Those dents make your truck worth LESS, not more.  Calling it a "classic" isn't helping you around here.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:06 PM, JLSleather said:

EXACTLY. Don't tell me whether you ordered leather online, or WALKED to pick it up.  Don't tell me if you chopped the pieces out with a knife made from the shin of an elk, or clicked out the parts on a hydraulic press.  JUST tell me WHY I should buy your item, at your price. 

Don't tell me its HANDmade... show me it's WELLmade.  

sometimes it's not a sellers job to tell why and how - recommendations and personal touch will put the dots in place.

some buyers rely on a feedback and some won't believe until use it and convince themselves that the item they have paid is worth the money.