bigdogpaw

What type of Hand Stitch is this and....?

Hi,

Have a question about a type of stitch and also its strength.

The stitch I want to know about is in this video below. It is the first stitch he does, single needle method.

My questions:

-1. What is the name of the stitch. He says it gives the look of the 2 needle saddle stitch method. Is it still called a saddle stitch?

-2. Also is this stitch strong and if one stitch breaks, say in the middle, will they all pull through?

3-. Is there a different way to start and finish this type of stitch? I cant end it like he does with putting it between the two pieces. I just cant keep it tight to do it. So what I have been doing is when I get to the end on the second pass that takes me to where I started to end the stitch, I then just go a few more holes the opposite way(so 3 times through each hole) just a few holes, cutting it and adding a dab of glue. 

Appreciate any help and thank you

Hand sew leather video

Look up al stohlman the art of hand sewing leather, all the answers are in stohlmans book which you should have anyway. 

Well, I will look into getting the book you recommend. Always looking for more knowledge.

So, in the mean time 'till I get the book, any chance you can help me out?

That's just a running stitch, going forward then backward to approximate the look of a saddle stitch. Notice that it doesn't lay as neatly as the saddle stitched example 

Is it as strong as a saddle stitch? Probably not. Will it matter on a wallet? Very probably not.

Stohlman's book on hand sewing is good, but it's far from the be-all and end-all. That's not his fault, the chap was writing from a specific range of experience 40+ years ago. That book has got a lot of people hand sewing, including myself. However, frankly, I think that Nigel Armitage's youtube videos are far more useful. If a picture's worth a thousand words then a video has to be worth at least a hundred line drawings -- certainly makes things a lot clearer. Nigel also goes into things that Al can't or won't have had experience of, like the uniformity that comes of using a good English style pricking iron, or the simple ruggedness of Tiger thread. Nigel also does something that Al can't -- he responds directly to viewers' questions.

6 minutes ago, Matt S said:

That's just a running stitch, going forward then backward to approximate the look of a saddle stitch. Notice that it doesn't lay as neatly as the saddle stitched example 

Is it as strong as a saddle stitch? Probably not. Will it matter on a wallet? Very probably not.

Stohlman's book on hand sewing is good, but it's far from the be-all and end-all. That's not his fault, the chap was writing from a specific range of experience 40+ years ago. That book has got a lot of people hand sewing, including myself. However, frankly, I think that Nigel Armitage's youtube videos are far more useful. If a picture's worth a thousand words then a video has to be worth at least a hundred line drawings -- certainly makes things a lot clearer. Nigel also goes into things that Al can't or won't have had experience of, like the uniformity that comes of using a good English style pricking iron, or the simple ruggedness of Tiger thread. Nigel also does something that Al can't -- he responds directly to viewers' questions.

Thanks for the response. Still going to give the book a read. There is so much info online that its enough to get lost(I think this is what happened, I watched so many videos I got confused. .  I am going to give the two needle method a shot soon after this way.

I was looking at a representation of the thread going threw material using the one needle method and  going from starting point to ending point then back again to start. I dont see how it would pull out if a stitch broke after looking an image but still trying to wrap my head around if it can. I think, I am thinking of clothing that is thin when it breaks and how you can just pull it out. Maybe I am wrong. So if lets say point A is my start and B being the end and if using a "running stitch" and going from A to B then back to A and head back to B just a few holes, is just snipping the thread ok at the end? Seems to me it would be, but then again, I wouldnt be asking if I knew.

It is important to consider if there is additional pull-out (tension, as opposed to shear) stress at the end of a stitch line. Additional strength is a good thing when insertion forces exist. Holsters, sheaths, etc. need additional stitching strength, as would any pocket type of enclosure.

Jeff

2 hours ago, bigdogpaw said:

I was looking at a representation of the thread going threw material using the one needle method and  going from starting point to ending point then back again to start. I dont see how it would pull out if a stitch broke after looking an image but still trying to wrap my head around if it can. I think, I am thinking of clothing that is thin when it breaks and how you can just pull it out. Maybe I am wrong.

Depends on the thread, what it's coated with, how tight the holes are, how much rubbing occurs against the seam... It's often claimed that a saddle stitch won't unravel if one thread gets broken. Well yeah maybe, I've seen it where it has and hasn't unravelled. There's a lot of factors involved. Most threads we use in hand stitching are so strong they're unlikely to be broken in everyday use so IMHO it's a moot point. As @alpha2 states above there are exceptions, like at the mouth of a pistol holster or knife sheath, and there skilled craftspeople often reinforce with a rivet, extra stitching or a chicago screw.

...going from A to B then back to A and head back to B just a few holes, is just snipping the thread ok at the end? Seems to me it would be, but then again, I wouldnt be asking if I knew.

Yes, this is called backstitching and it's usual just to snip the thread. For linen thread 2-3 stitches is usually plenty. I find that synthetic threads, being more slippery, sometimes need a couple more.

You always want to secure the end of your stitching somehow. Backstitching, tying off, melting synthetic thread, a drop of glue, or sandwiching with a rivet or other piece of hardware. What you use depends on the circumstances, and I'll often use two methods at once just for "belt and braces". If you don't secure the ends somehow, you're liable to the stitching unravelling sooner or later (usually sooner).