hatrabbit

Need help from the leather community...

Hello all, I need to make a cup seal for a very small antique pump.  The original one was leather and I'd like to duplicate it.  I've experimented with scraps and think I have the technique down, my only trouble is I need an extremely thin piece of leather, like 1mm.  I tried sanding some scrap and it seems to take forever and it's difficult to get a uniform thickness.  Is there a place to get a small piece that thin?  Or do I need to keep trying to thin it by hand?

Also, from what I've read I would want vegetable tanned leather for its durability.  Am I on the right track there?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, hatrabbit said:

Is there a place to get a small piece that thin?

It would help to know where you are located. If in Australia I could send you a few pieces and likewise some others in other parts of the globe may do so as well.

All the leather seals that I have seen I believe to be veg tan. Once you let people here you are located I am sure someone would be glad to send you a piece that thickness. I know I would but it would be a couple of weeks before I would be at my place to get one out to you. I am assuming that you only need a piece 3 or 4 inch square. That would make all the seals that I have felt width. My only limitation is my splitter will only do about 4-5 inch.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:27 PM, hatrabbit said:

I am in Southern California, USA

It's a good idea to add your location into your profile.  Then you can get help from people local to you if need be.

A picture would help people visualize what you are working with also.

@YinTx could you help this person out with a few pieces of scrap?

Tom

Be happy to send some pieces.  PM me what dimensions you are looking for (thicknesses, etc) and I'll pop them in the mail.   I have a splitter so I can get you several different thicknesses if you would like.

YinTx

:thumbsup: Now that is what I like to see. Though I thought Texas was a a bit over the other side.

I'm near Santa Barbara.  How can I help?

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Though I thought Texas was a a bit over the other side.

Yeah, a bit far away, but this sounds pretty small, so I'd think it would fit in an envelope, which is one postage stamp to mail to any corner of the States, or to your next door neighbor.

YinTx

SaddleBags, do you have the means to make a piece of veg tanned leather as thin as 1mm?  I'd need it to be at least wide enough to get a 1/18" circle out of it.  You could mail it & I'd pay for postage and your trouble by paypal or any other way.  Thanks for considering!