Sign in to follow this  
bermudahwin

An MP3 called Leather Worker tried to auto download to my machine

When I signed in there was an attempted auto download of an mp3, which due to my set up seeks permission first from me.

I declined.

Is there any normal download pushed to members?

As I have no speakers on this machine, is there music playing in the background?

Does anyone have any idea as to what it is?

I am currently doing a text dump of activity, to see if I can track more about it.

Thanks

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda

UPDATE

It has just tried again

points to the frum then:

forum/applications/core/interface/sounds/notification.mp3

So it may be a sound for notifications, but I have no sound on this machine, so would like to stop the requests, any ideas?

Thanks

No music playing on my computer Harry, I would suggest getting a free copy of Malwearbytes antivirus and giving the computer a scan, its probably the best anti virus available and only a few quid for the software to buy after you have tried the free version

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If you are not sure I can come over and run it for you

Edited by chrisash

Thanks Chris,

Good call , as I am partway through a malware wipe, just in case.

Have protection already, due to my consultancy and the contracts I get... hence no soundcard on this machine.

Cheers, trust all is well in Sunny East Norfolk, we are fogged in at the moment.

Best

Harry

All I can think of is the mp3 file might be for the "ding" notification you get when someone messages you or responds to a thread you're following. I've been on here for a few years now and that is the only sound I've ever heard on here. Don't know how to stop the download of it though as computers are not my thing. I do know that I have Malware Bytes premium on my computer though and it runs automatically daily scans and such and I always check anything like a forum I'm thinking about joining for anything malicious and it has never shown anything malicious with this site.

40 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

might be for the "ding" notification

Thanks Mark,

That would make sense, but my work computers have no sound... I did not know there was a 'ding'.

I am a bit paranoid cautious regarding all such things, but used to work in Government departments where such paranoia caution was part of the daily routine, so that continues now.

Best

Harry

3 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Thanks Mark,

That would make sense, but my work computers have no sound... I did not know there was a 'ding'.

I am a bit paranoid cautious regarding all such things, but used to work in Government departments where such paranoia caution was part of the daily routine, so that continues now.

Best

Harry

Totally understand the paranoia. Like I said I check everything I can before downloading it and if I can't check it doesn't get downloaded. If Malware bytes gives me a warning on page I'm done with it, no questions asked.

Harry, 

In an MP3 file, a malicious program can actually hide the malicious code, but with standard replay of this MP3, this code will not gain control.

6 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Harry, 

In an MP3 file, a malicious program can actually hide the malicious code, but with standard replay of this MP3, this code will not gain control.

Thanks AB for your helpful input,

I understand this, from previous jobs I have held, but do not want to have to consider the code, particularly as this computer has no sounds attached. (I know thats rare, but my personal one does, not my business one... however often Windows 10 tries to 'correct' this for me).

Happy to have a music player, in the workshop / office, just not on the work / office network. Its an old fashioned view, but aesier for me to manage, and keeps the tax man happy if there is no crossover.

Edited by hwinbermuda

16 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Thanks AB for your helpful input,

I understand this, from previous jobs I have held, but do not want to have to consider the code, particularly as this computer has no sounds attached. (I know thats rare, but my personal one does, not my business one... however often Windows 10 tries to 'correct' this for me).

Happy to have a music player, in the workshop / office, just not on the work / office network. Its an old fashioned view, but aesier for me to manage, and keeps the tax man happy if there is no crossover.

Yes, now every program (including Windows) is trying to pull a whole bunch of stuff on the computer, which nobody asked for :) I absolutely agree with you that every detected fact of automatic content download should be treated with caution.

At my work, some of the computers that are used in the development process are at all physically separated into a own network that does not have access to the outside world. Also a kind of paranoia, but I think it is quite justified.

Andrey.

Edited by ABHandmade

You can stop notifications by going to your profile.  Click on your username in the top right corner, pick account settings.  Under other settings pick "Notification Settings" and tick off the stuff you want, or un-tick the stuff you don't want.  At the bottom of the screen, one of the settings is " Play a sound when I receive a notification ".

Hope this helps for any that don't want the mp3 file which I assume is connected with "Play a sound ...".

Tom