I was given a bag full of hardware.  While sorting it, I ran across two W shaped things.  Does anyone know what they are and how to use them?

Thanks.

Bob

Whatisit.JPG

Probably not what they actually are and depending on their size, they look like the hooks we used to use to carry a brace of shot game birds home. Tied the legs of the birds together, hook that tie over the metal hook and the whole lot could be hung from a belt, shot bag or off a hook in the back of the the Landy

It's a sprung version of the old fashioned bell shaped key case.

Most use a strip of leather through an oval hole, with a snap. This is sewn into the seam, and springs open when the wire ends are pushed together.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Probably not what they actually are and depending on their size, they look like the hooks we used to use to carry a brace of shot game birds home. Tied the legs of the birds together, hook that tie over the metal hook and the whole lot could be hung from a belt, shot bag or off a hook in the back of the the Landy

Thread diversion: I once saw a clip of Jack Hargreaves making something similar from leather offcuts, in the same way the local cobbler/cordwainer did in his childhood. A disc of leather maybe 3/4" with two small holes in it, and a short length of thong laced through the holes leaving a small loop, then another disc laced onto the thong, another gap, another disc, etc. A bit like a ladder. The loose ends were tied to the belt. Shoot something, put its legs through the loop and snug the disc down on top to keep it in place. Shoot another thing, put its legs through next gap, then snug the next disc down. The discs were cut with a wad punch, in his case the punch he used to cut the felt wads for his grandad's muzzle-loading gun... which he used for rough shooting.

Edited by Matt S

49 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Jack Hargreaves

Sheesh Matt, you must be old...

He lived near where I grew up in the New Forest.

;)

19 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Sheesh Matt, you must be old...

He lived near where I grew up in the New Forest.

I came to know of him through a friend who grew up near Ringwood, Jack's still a bit of a local legend down there. A good amount of his old vids on YouTube -- even if they were filmed in the neolithic ;):P

It is in fact used to create pouch styled key pockets.  The "W" portion of this hardware is sandwiched between 2 pieces of leather and stitched in so that when you squeeze it the pouch opens up and you can dump your keys out/tuck them away.  It has been awhile since I have seen one of these but I still have at least 5 of these key pouches from my younger years.  Were quite popular for awhile.