Yankee63

DC motor conversion on chinese patcher machine

I have had a idea using parts I already have.

The motor and sprocket from a scooter. The motor is rated 300 watts at 24v DC 16.4 amp.

11 tooth sprocket and 65 tooth for wheel

I can get a variable speed controller for this motor for about $15

Is 300 watts enough at 5.9 to 1 ratio?

It is kind of a hair brained idea but I do have 2 12v marine batteries laying around.

And, I do have a 24 volt DC circuit already installed to inside my house to run inverters so I could easily install a charging station

to recharge my batteries. (they are old but I think still good)

It seems it should work in my mind.

Ideas from others welcomed.

Doug

OK, too technical for a leather forum.

I will adapt and test.

Doug

Could I get a idea of what wattage motor you guys run on your different machines?

My wifes machine only has a 35 watt motor and I see replacement motors rated at only 90 watts.

Just trying to get a guesstimate of how powerful a motor I may need....

Thanks all

Doug

Yes,I think that setup would work great.

Good, I figure at original gearing it would make a scooter move forward.

It should be enough for starting a sewing machine.

It will only cost a few hours and the $15 dollar controller that comes with the On/Off switch and separate dial for speed.

Give me a couple months to put it all together and I will display a few pictures.

I move slowly..first a drawing then gather materials and assemble.

Thanks for your input.

Doug

Doug- your post was not too technical- but many here will use more standard parts- I have a Chinese Patcher I am using manually for now. I hope to upgrade later to something more professional- But as my skills grow I will know more about what I need and what I need to focus on.

Most folks will tell you just "Try it" and see what the results are! Im interested as well... I look forward to your results!

Be safe and as always- have fun!

Silver

Sure thing, I understand.

I will take my time at it because I kinda like the crank...lol

I need to just spend time on the machine and get used to it first.

Doug

In my opinion being able to hand crank sew with this machine is one of its benefits. Being able to sew one stitch at a time and be very accurate with your stitch placement is one of the things that I like about this machine. I know there are other people that have motorized these Chinese patchers but I don't think its necessary. Even when doing longer straight stitching I don't find it very difficult to operate the machine with the hand crank.

Hi, I reckon you will have more than enough torque with that scooter motor to drive the patching machine but l am not sure your particular motor would be happy to run very slowly for extended periods of time. Most electric motors need to turn at a certain speed so the fan on the end can force air through the cooling fins. l bought a 550W AC stepper motor for my patcher on ebay and l run it through an idler shaft set up to give a total of around 25:1 reduction to give it a chance to spin up a bit and this also results in a lot of torque.

Whilst leather factories are likely to use their machines for many hours a day, I wonder how long most leather workers actually spend on a sewing machine at one time and how many minutes or hours its used in say a week, Bag makers i guess use them a lot more than most other leather work

It seems strange hand cranking a sewing machine these days when all other tools seem to be run on rechargeable batteries, obviously, most they have mains power so silly not to use it, but I guess there are plenty who for whatever reason still hand crank and buy new machines.

Standard motors for industrial sewing machines tend to start around 500W. Even at gearing between 1:1 and 1:2 they rely partially on inertia to get though the tougher parts of the stitch cycle. It looks like steppers would overcome this low-speed-low-torque issue but there isn't much research out there on their application to sewing machines.

Remember that your patcher is not designed for motorisation -- there's nowhere convenient to mount a pulley and I suspect that it's not very well balanced when spun any faster than you can turn by hand.

There are many videos on YouTube about these machines with excellent information on all aspects of improving them, including adding a motor. 

The best solution when adding a motor ensures that you retain the hand cranking ability. 

A big advantage of motor drive is being able to use both hands at the workpiece. 

A useful motor will be in the 500-750 watt range, with a controller and a needle positioner. 

The brushless types on eBay are currently £75-£120, depending upon size. 1 horsepower = 750 watts. 

3d printed conversion kits are available for the motor conversion, about £45. 

It's  all on YouTube, a guy called Henskecht does the best I've seen, he prints the kits. 

Oops, I got the guys name wrong, it's John " Hansknecht".  His video is well worth a look. 

Theres a mad Brit goes by the name of Screaming turbo eagle, his fettling of one these is also worth a look.  I'm in awe of what some people are able to achieve with imagination and industry!