siddiqui2008

My cheapest sewing machine for thread #207

Hi everyone. I am new to the site and this is my first post / question ...

What are my cheapest options / makes / models (both used and new) that can do the following ...

Sew with thread size 207 - absolute must
Sew canvas, upholstery, auto convertible tops, luggage etc. - absolute must (I am NOT stitching thick leather, just garment grade leather)
Only need straight stitch. Reverse stitch and zig-zag NOT needed.
Size - small to medium. I do not have room for big industrial sewing machine and its table in the house
Possible walking foot - good to have but not sure if I need one
Will only be used for occasional home projects and NOT commercial use

Please  do not make alternate smaller thread size machine recommendations like Singer 201 or 15-91 with thread size 69 or 92 etc. I already own singer 201-2, 15-91 and Kingston Deluxe Precision sewing machines. Need one that can use thick 207 thread. My  target is to buy something that is less than $500

11 minutes ago, siddiqui2008 said:

Need one that can use thick 207 thread. My  target is to buy something that is less than $500

I'll be watching that one myself ;)

19 minutes ago, siddiqui2008 said:

I do not have room for big industrial sewing machine and its table in the house

I guess that would leave just the one arm bandits like the Tippmann Boss and Cowboy Outlaw. Still will need a good size bench or table to bolt them too.

19 minutes ago, siddiqui2008 said:

Need one that can use thick 207 thread. My  target is to buy something that is less than $500

In working condition for that price is going to be a task in it's self.

31 minutes ago, siddiqui2008 said:

Please  do not make alternate smaller thread size machine recommendations like Singer 201 or 15-91 with thread size 69 or 92 etc. I already own singer 201-2, 15-91 and Kingston Deluxe Precision sewing machines. Need one that can use thick 207 thread. My  target is to buy something that is less than $500

What are you trying to sew that will require the strength of V207? For what you have listed V138 should be good enough. If you can drop down to V138 need to keep your machine footprint small maybe look at the portable walking foot machines like the Reliable Barracude 200ZW ($500 US at Home depot). The spec can be found at https://reliablecorporation.ca/products/barracuda-200zw-portable-walking-foot-zig-zag-sewing-machine .This one can handle V138 not sure about the Techsew 611 or the Sailrite LS.

kgg

I like to think thats a good thread choice myself. On another note,  In some situations having a location in ones profile can help others locate machines of interest in these nearby areas. Just sayin!

It is always crazy or tricky selecting search terms in the different “for sale” type search engines as CL or e Bay etc etc. So sometimes others here mention a find they seen, incase others in an area may be on the hunt. Its very very lucky in my mind to find one in your 30 mile circle. I mention that as Im still kicking myself for a couple that escaped me in my own endeavors many moons ago  

Good day

Floyd

I bought a Singer 168G101 walking foot post bed machine for a little over a thousand dollars, cash and carry. It sews with #207 thread if the post is properly adjusted to clear the larger #24 needle. I got a half size (20" x 33") table with it. I have seen them sell for more. Keep a lookout for that model, just in case.

2 hours ago, siddiqui2008 said:

How about a singer 29-4. Would that sew with thread #277

No!

Sounds like another "mission impossible". To the best of my knowledge only industrial machines (which you said you don't want) can handle thread that thick. Even for #138 you really need an industrial machine, I don't think many domestic machines would be very happy with that size thread. I've picked up used industrial machines that can handle #138 thread for less than $500, but I haven't found anything that can handle anything heavier without a significant jump in price.

Sorry, but until you drop down in your absolute must thread size and dedicate some space for a industrial sewing machine and table there are not going to be very many options in your price range of $500. The portable walking foot sewing machines some can handle V138 with most topping out at V92 and the patcher machines like the Singer 29k top out at V92.

kgg

Actually my 29K53 is quite happy with 138 but the problem is the silly amount of 138 thread the bobbin will take, maybe 3 foot of stitching before it needs a new bobbin and thats with average thickness on leather, not heavyweight

Edited by chrisash