Minnitacki

Hi from northern MN - any idea what this is?

tool.jpg

We know the handle isn't original but should give you an idea of the general size.  Got it at a rummage sale a number of years ago and no one knew what it was then.  Been asking around and still no one has a logical answer other than it may be for leather work.

It seems to be missing a spring that goes between the two holes ( one in each "jaw" ) that would provide the "clamping action" which would be released by pressing on the "thumb rest" on the top jaw. Other than that observation ( and that the two holes in the top jaw - at the other end from the thumb rest are probably relevant to it's use ) I have no idea. Rig a spring between those to holes I mentioned ( that passes "outside" the jaws..and you might then get "inspired" by looking at it anew and "actioning" the jaws.

My first thought was a tool to stretch something, like shoes, but then I noticed that the cross hatching is on the inside of the 'jaws'. That would tend to indicate its for gripping something. The holes are not placed where I would think they need to be to be a spring closure, especially the bottom side where the hole is on the protruding piece.

Maybe with a correctly shaped handle, the lever at the top near the handle would ride on the handle as the handle is twisted to tighten the tool. The holes in the 'jaw face'? No idea on them thar holes, by gum!

I'm thinking the sort of spring that has a straight bit at either end ( one being longer than the other ) each of which ends in a hook..like a bigger version of the ones in "vice grips" that live in the handle..only in this case the hooks would mean that the spring lived on the outside.
I see what you mean about the handle and the "riding on"..that handle does not look original ( looks like the ones that used to come with the screwdrivers ( one end flat one end Phillips ) in the tool kits for Honda "bikes" back in the 60s / 70s ) ..and there is that knurled ring on the "wossit / machin" end , which must be meant to turn...The shape of the jaw ends almost suggest something veterinary ..maybe farrier(ish) ? Harnessy*

*not a real word

I think it's a marshmallow press, used to hold a marshmallow over a campfire...

:rolleyes:

welllll, I think, its for stretching painting canvas over a frame. This is to pull the canvas over the frame and the holes in one jaw are used to tack the canvas in place. Or for pulling chair webbing over a chair frame

welllll, I think, its for stretching painting canvas over a frame. This is to pull the canvas over the frame and the holes in one jaw are used to tack the canvas in place. Or for pulling chair webbing over a chair frame

Nah fred.. canvas stretcher pliers don't look like that, they have rectangular jaws, no little "wossit" for the thumb and they have a handle* that consists of two arms, as do pliers..all the ones for chair webbing etc are very similar, always two handles,like pliers, always rectangular jaws..Plus, if you tacked through the holes with canvas tacks..( which have large flat heads ) how would you get the pliers off the framed canvas or webbing again..
Type... canvas stretcher pliers ..into Google ( which will save me digging one of mine out and posting a picture of them ) and you'll see what I mean.

I like the idea of for toasting marshmallows, although on Cow and Chicken, they always used pointy sticks, which I thusly thought must be the American way.

Maybe they are for gelding swans..although you'd have to be quick, 'cos as Bill Oddie said, very often .."A swan can break your arm".

*Yes "a handle" is appalling grammar when talking about two arms, but, you get my drift, I hope.

Edited by mikesc

I think it's a long handled fruit picker that should have a spring in the jaws and a string in the bottom hole.

It seems your answer is not on this site. 

It isn't clear why it's so popular to respond to questions just to say "I dont know" (if you don't reply, we'll assume you don't know, and future leather workers would have less crap to sift through to find answers).

JLS said

It seems your answer is not on this site.

It isn't clear why it's so popular to respond to questions just to say "I dont know" (if you don't reply, we'll assume you don't know, and future leather workers would have less crap to sift through to find answers).

I now need a new irony meter, this one just broke ;)

Agreed - equally ridiculous regardless of who does it.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:44 AM, mikesc said:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.  Believe me - our daughter posted it on Facebook and they came back with ice cube lifter and other such silly stuff.  Oh well, so we really still don't know, but it seems like it's a stretcher of some sort.  

A bit further information - the two facing paddles, or whatever they are "really called" each have a male and female area that matches the one on the other paddle, so maybe for getting a good hold on whatever is being worked on.

Nah fred.. canvas stretcher pliers don't look like that, they have rectangular jaws, no little "wossit" for the thumb and they have a handle* that consists of two arms, as do pliers..all the ones for chair webbing etc are very similar, always two handles,like pliers, always rectangular jaws..Plus, if you tacked through the holes with canvas tacks..( which have large flat heads ) how would you get the pliers off the framed canvas or webbing again..
Type... canvas stretcher pliers ..into Google ( which will save me digging one of mine out and posting a picture of them ) and you'll see what I mean.

I like the idea of for toasting marshmallows, although on Cow and Chicken, they always used pointy sticks, which I thusly thought must be the American way.

Maybe they are for gelding swans..although you'd have to be quick, 'cos as Bill Oddie said, very often .."A swan can break your arm".

*Yes "a handle" is appalling grammar when talking about two arms, but, you get my drift, I hope.