Sharon Mallory

Suggestions needed for Back pack straps breaking

Hi I’m having trouble with my nylon straps breaking on the backpacks I made. It seems like the strap just shreads  from where it joins the main part of the backpack. I’m not using a leather needle on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, it’s not making me want to finish?

Put a thin layer of leather over the nylon like some people do when making a guitar strap and they put a leather end on them.

products-Distressed_Canvas.jpg

Some photos of what you are doing exactly would help
Tom

It’s just a simple backpack for my 9 year old grandson and it happened on the one from when he was 5 or 6 too. I want to make one for myself and figure out what the problem is and how to avoid it.

9A3092C0-B638-4424-BBB8-5C35DD516841.jpeg

I've had no trouble with these types of straps.  Possibly your strap material is too thin, or poor quality.  It looks like maybe the strap was nicked by a sharp item and started to unravel.

I had straps on bags that were used to hold electronic vibration monitoring instruments and were used all day long in a dirty and challenging environment.  No breakage of the plastic hardware or the straps.  When the bag (fabric - canvas like exterior, padding, and a silky smooth lining) got dirty enough, I threw them in the washing machine to clean them up a little.  So with all the abuse they suffered, I had no failures.

Tom

Kids generally tend too be tough on stuff. When I have seen fraying that results in shedding like that either the nylon is being constantly rubbed / nicked against something, the nylon is less then good quality or to many stitches per inch in the stitch used to attach the material. I would suggest reducing your number of stitches per inch and or using a different type nylon that would be stiffer but more abrasive resistant. If the stitches are to close together the stitch will basically cut the fibres of the material.

kgg

I’ve used this same strapping before too but it didn’t hold up well last time and this time I had to replace the handle on top also as it had begun its fraying from the edges to. Last time I thought I forgot to change out my leather needle so I know for sure I did it this time. Maybe stitch length I’ll lengthen it. I’ve mad quite a few leashes and collars with this nylon before too. Going out of town so I thought I’d throw one of these together for myself and I don’t need it to break. This was the 2nd day he used it. Other than the straps which I replace years ago it held up well. This one I used sunbrella and I waxes the canvas.

2 things to try, if you haven't already.

1) Burn the ends of the nylon strap after you cut them.
2) Use a fairly long stitch.. 6-8 SPI or so. Make a couple of rows or better a square box with a "X" from corner to corner on.
Tom

Since you are using sunbrella and canvas have to tried to make your own straps out of those materials? You have all the necessary strap connections and probably scrap / leftover material.

kgg

15 hours ago, Sharon Mallory said:

It’s just a simple backpack for my 9 year old grandson and it happened on the one from when he was 5 or 6 too. I want to make one for myself and figure out what the problem is and how to avoid it.

9A3092C0-B638-4424-BBB8-5C35DD516841.jpeg

( Looks Like ) .. when load bearing, Is your ( 1" ) Webbing breaking and shredding the weave on your toothed friction lock-bar on the Buckle  ? .
If so it's the type- webbing your using and you need to change to different . Where Getting, and what Webbing you using ?  .. 

Nylon is strongest for friction and strength . Polyester is pretty strong and best for  UV sun damage . and definitely If you using the cheap Polypropylene webbing, It will do this in the Pic. every time .

edit add:
Also under heavy load Bering, like a main lift of heavy packs and container systems . your webbing wrapped over any friction surface for best long life . It good to run a ' chaffing strip ' under the webbing wrapped over the hardware that load is hanging from.  

Edited by nylonRigging

I might be over thinking this, but I don't use a leather needle when I work with this type of strapping. I thought it might be cutting the fibers.