williaty

Can you help me thread this machine? It doens't match the manual

As told in a different thread, I just bought a Consew 225 (clone of Singer 111w155) and I'm trying to get it running again. I got the jam problem resolved, got the lower end cleaned out, and got the timing back together. Now I need to test sew with it only to find the bobbin arrangement doesn't match the manual. The manuals all show a bobbin carrier like the one in my 227R-2 where the bobbin thread tension spring is part of the bobbin basket/hook assembly and a long finger comes through the center of the bobbin and folds over to lock it in place. However, this machine has no integrated tension spring in the bobbin basket/hook assembly and also has what appears to be a separate bobbin carrier like a domestic machine. The center finger is also very short but does flip from vertical to horizontal like the manuals show.  How do I thread this?

k7iKK0d.jpg

pe3NLgR.jpg

kzf9sgw.jpg

g5Rt3Hr.jpg

I have the same shuttle in my Singer 168 post machine. You thread the bobbin into the cap outside the machine, feeding counterclockwise. Pull the thread through the tension spring (set the tension), then hold both parts together with your right hand and drop the package into the shuttle driver post. It only fits one way. Once in place, snap the locking tab down.

"It only fits one way"..Bobbin fits in the holder ( the 3rd pic ) and then the holder goes ( the same way up as in your photo ..that is to say what you'd think is "upside down" ) inside the the hook ( 1st and 2nd pic ) the little lever then folds over the holder into the inner recessed ring on the holder "bowl"..and as Wiz says :)  the thread goes under the tension spring before you put the bobbin in the holder and into the hook..Weird, but..once you have done it..you'll not forget.

I can't even remember the machine that I once had that used this method, but I can remember the method.

Thanks guys. Sometime this weekend I'm going to get my wife to film me doing this to make sure I'm interpreting your directions correctly.

Maybe this will help you.

51W bobbin case threading.jpg

:) a picture is worth a thousand words..thanks Bob :)