I have a saddle in for repair that has a torn fender.  I just replaced the stirrup leathers on this saddle 4 months ago.  I am trying to maintain the aesthetic of this saddle it is an old and worn inheritance saddle from the owners father.  He uses the saddle daily he is not opposed to putting on a new fender.  I just want to maintain the look if it will work.  Here is my current plan please tell me if it won't work and if I need to alter it.  I plan to clean and rough up the back of the fender and glue a 5/6 oz piece to the back.  Run a short (2 inch) stitch line on the trailing edge of the fender and some in some of the cut lines of the carving to hold the patch in place.  I will be using a waxed braided nylon thread and hand sewing it.   Let me know what you think.  

jr fender crop.jpeg

Good Luck.  Looks super dried out.   Might have to put a stitch on each side of the tear also 

Realize I don't build saddles anymore or do repairs so you can consider my advice for what it worth based on that.  

When you wrote that he uses this saddle daily, that would be a reason for me to make new fenders if he wants to continue using it. The tear is angled but half the width of the fender. A patch may work for a while but I wouldn't trust it on a daily user.  I see no good way to sew a patch to bridge that tear with a postage stamp perforation effect. 

I say go for it.  While, Bruce is probably  correct it may tear like a postage stamp.  Communication is key.  Let the customer know that it is distinct possibility and watch for any signs of it.  Have him contact you at the first signs  Let him know you would be happy to make him a new fender, take a pattern of the fender and tooling.    If he sees signs of it tearing he can give you a call and order the fenders.   Gives you time to build the fenders and him riding his beloved saddle.  

Edited by bland
clarity

Reminds me of the 60's in west Texas when ranchers were trying to stretch their pennies. We would patch and lecture that oil is your friend and then in a few more years replace the old fenders unless the oil lecture had brought about a change in behavior

I didn't take that picture it was taken the night of the incident.  Someone (kid) was unsaddling the horse and left the rear cinch on and when pulling it off it went underneath.  Horse went nuts and stomped all over the saddle before the rear billet also broke.  When I got the saddle it was not as dry as it looked.  I oiled it pretty good when I replace the stirrup leathers.  Not saying it hadn't been neglected for years before that.  Thanks Bruce, I'll talk to him about new fenders or maybe  even get him to order a new saddle.  He has me making some new billets as well.  For an hour of labor I think I'll still try to make the repair.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

I'll throw my two cents in, but recognize it's probably not worth that. Since the saddle has sentimental value, I would suggest preserving the fenders as they are and build new ones matching the best you can. I would put the original fenders in a shadow box with some old photos and a short story. Otherwise I think your plan to repair them is about as good as it gets. Good luck,

Randy

Edited by rktaylor

I have repaired fenders both ways. The only time I glued and stitched a liner was because it was my own, the tear was much smaller, and I was trying to save a dime. It's still holding up fine but like I said, it was a much smaller tear. I would do what Randy said and build new ones that look similar. It'll look nicer and it'll be a lot safer for your client. You definitely don't want an accident to happen because of a poor repair job. The saddle maker I apprenticed under always told me to do the best quality work and not take shortcuts because others will look at your work and judge your ability based off of what they see. Before I got into leatherwork, I had a saddle repair guy fix my torn fender and he lined and stitched it. He charged me a fortune and the fender tore again within a week. You don't want to be that guy. Anyways that's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth. I've only repaired a bunch of saddles and helped make a few but haven't done one on my own yet. 

Here is a couple of photos of the fix.  I went ahead with a patch and told him if there was any sign of tearing I would make him  new fenders. 

fender patch1.jpg

front fender.jpg