mattattenborough

Overseas Opportunity! Leather Crafting Workshop Manager Needed for an American Company

The Dromedary Club is looking for an experienced leather crafter with management experience to come and run our public leather workshop and leather crafting team. 

We are a unique company that is growing rapidly after opening our first shop this year in January.  In addition to being a public leather workshop specializing in custom work, we are a coffee shop, classic barbershop, and customization shop for t-shirts, hats, laser engraving, and embroidery.  We specialize in being something of a community hub, with 4 leather crafting workshops each week, a coffee workshop, movie night, biker Fridays and Furry Friend days on the weekends.  Take a look at our website to get a better idea:  http://www.thedromedaryclub.com or our Instagram feed https://www.instagram.com/thedromedaryclub/

In addition to crafting amazing products yourself, you’ll be in charge of our 6-person leather team which we are adding to rapidly, you’ll also work closely with the design and customization departments on new products. 

The Dromedary Club has invested heavily in professional-level equipment from Cobra Sewing Machines and Strap Cutters to a 24” CNC splitter and digital controlled skiving machine.  We also have a clicker press for pattern cutting, a CO2 laser engraver/cutter, a Fiber laser engraver/cutter, and a CNC embroidery machine.  This allows us to make almost any kind of products the customer can dream of.

In addition to all of our other uniqueness, we do not use any cow leather.  We specialize in camel leather, however, we also use horse, deer, moose, elk, and soon kangaroo. 

This is an opportunity for someone to get some truly interesting experience in a great environment with massive room for growth, the company is currently planning to open locations in 3 more countries over the next 2 years.

We will provide a non-cancellable round trip air ticket to any successful candidate and we do NOT require anyone to hand over their passports.

Ladies and Veterans Encouraged To Apply

Experience:

At least 5 years of experience crafting leather products both by hand and machine stitched

At least 5 years of experience managing a team of 5 or more people

Specific Responsibilities:

Crafting Products to customer specifications

Managing the leather crafting team, including:

Setting work schedules

Assigning projects and deadlines

Quality control

Training

Creating and implementing a production system for leather products

Working with the design and customization departments on new products

Finding and working with suppliers for materials and tools

Managing shows and events

Managing shifts within the shop

Salary Package:

$3,000 to $4,000 per month depending on experience (this is the equivalent of $3,344 to $4,540 because there are no taxes, This applies specifically to US and UK citizens, other should please check the laws of their country)

Studio Apartment Provided by the Company

Full Medical Insurance

1 Months paid vacation + Round-trip airfare home every year

1 Months’ severance salary for each full year worked in the company

Equity in the company is possible after the first year

Edited by mattattenborough

I find the fact that you photograph the place of business through a locked security grill from outside, and that there is no actual location on your website for your store..( although there is a contact address for the website ) somewhat intriguing..do you own the store / café in that photo ? Photos taken from inside it with customers there, rather than what appears to be from outside when it is closed to the public, and to your photographer, would be more convincing.

Btw some people pay taxes in their "home" country no matter where they may earn them..so those salary figures $3,000 to $4,000 per month ( low for Doha, Qatar ) may be before taxes to many.

Presumably you will be sending a pre paid return air ticket ( which cannot be cancelled ) to any successful candidates, so that they do not risk finding themselves in Qatar with a job that doesn't match the description, having handed over their passport, paid their own airfare to get there, and no way home without paying for their own ticket..

Personally I would not touch this with a very long bargepole..even less so were I female..stock photos, and images of "the workplace" taken through locked security grills screams fishy.

note.. website mentioned in OP exists..domain name was Created on 2018-09-03 ..since that time 4 IP changes in 1 year. site hosted in Germany..domain registered at tucows..domain owner details are withheld / private. Domains owned by companies are normally unable to keep their registration details private. registration is probably to an individual. a search for matt attenborough qatar will give background on the OP. The companies house entry caught my eye.."company dissolved" after 1 year.

Product page from the website https://www.thedromedaryclub.com/leathers/ from my curiosity led searches elsewhere , Matt appear to run events where one ( " expats in Qatar" ) can pay to learn how to make coffee and buy the coffee maker machine ;)..and leather working classes, 100 QR no refunds..the RV dealership business appears to have ceased.

Edited by mikesc
added domain name reg details

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your observation, let me answer your concerns one at a time.

1. " find the fact that you photograph the place of business through a locked security grill from outside, and that there is no actual location on your website for your store."

I will attach some more photo's to the ad quickly, that grill is actually a decor piece, all of those photos are of my shop, not stock photos.

Also, there is a location at the bottom each page of our website, however, the specific address is Bldg. 4, Street 231, Zone 23, Doha Qatar.

2. "Btw some people pay taxes in their "home" country no matter where they may earn them..so those salary figures $3,000 to $4,000 per month ( low for Doha, Qatar ) may be before taxes to many."

In terms of taxes, US citizens (which I am one) only pay taxes if they reach a certain income threshold which our salary is below, and UK citizens do not pay taxes if they live outside of their country for the majority of the year.  However, I will edit the post to reflect this

3. "Presumably you will be sending a pre paid return air ticket ( which cannot be cancelled ) to any successful candidates, so that they do not risk finding themselves in Qatar with a job that doesn't match the description, having handed over their passport, paid their own airfare to get there, and no way home without paying for their own ticket"

We will of course provide a non-cancellable round trip air ticket to any successful candidate and I will update the ad to reflect this.

4.  "Personally I would not touch this with a very long bargepole..even less so were I female..stock photos, and images of "the workplace" taken through locked security grills screams fishy."

I do appreciate your points and I will work to improve my add.

5. "note.. website mentioned in OP exists..domain name was Created on 2018-09-03 ..since that time 4 IP changes in 1 year. site hosted in Germany..domain registered at tucows..domain owner details are withheld / private. Domains owned by companies are normally unable to keep their registration details private. registration is probably to an individual. a search for matt attenborough qatar will give background on the OP. The companies house entry caught my eye.."company dissolved" after 1 year."

As I mentioned were a new company, that is why the website is only 1 year old.  and please when googling me I am the 1st, 4th and 5th picture, not sure who the second and third are.  Also I am not sure about the companies house entry since we have never registered with them.

6.  "Matt appear to run events where one ( " expats in Qatar" ) can pay to learn how to make coffee and buy the coffee maker machine ;)..and leather working classes, 100 QR no refunds..the RV dealership business appears to have ceased."

Yes, As mentioned in the Ad, our shop is unique and includes a coffee shop, where we offer the workshops on making coffee, and leather working classes, also mentioned in the ad.  There is also a design studio, barbershop, coffee roastery, and customization shop as mentioned in the ad.  And yes the RV dealership did cease a few years ago."

Thanks again.

Ah ..There are two Matt Attenboroughs in Qatar ?
"Also I am not sure about the companies house entry since we have never registered with them. "
Matt Attenborough..Doha, Qatar
The internet is a wonderful thing..allows ( if the subject of one's researches joins linked in et al ) anyone to research prospective employees, their employment history ..or prospective bosses.. their business history ..

Btw..I have had many businesses..that in itself is not a "red flag" if it were "I'd have enough to have a parade"..but I never denied having any of them..even the ones I closed down or sold, or asked companies house to dissolve.

No aggressiveness in my comments at all there Matt :) ( I just read your pm )..just watching out for members and anyone who might be reading..One of my still current businesses ( nearly 20 years old now ) is involved in internet research..I "consult" for a branch of the French Tax authorities ( and others ) sometimes.

I've also been ( still am "an ex-pat" ) in in many places, including the Gulf..The "ex-pat" communities in all countries resemble each other somewhat..especially the anglophone ones :)

Edited by mikesc

Mike,

I am very happy that have anyone do all the research, I have politely answered your concerns, some of which I greatly appreciate as they will help to make potential candidates more comfortable.

So..any prospective employee now knows as much about their prospective boss as he wished to know about them..which is as it should be :)

Now ..lunch calls :) ..I wish everyone success :)

ps..I just remembered..am I correct in thinking that in Qatar employees have to surrender their passport to their employers ( which the employer keeps ) in order to be able to be employed..? I have more than the one passport, so any such laws pose no problem for me personally ( and I'm not looking to work for you or anyone else : ) but such laws can leave the employee who only has the one passport, at the "mercy" of the goodwill of the employer, and unable to leave the country unless the employer is in agreement..Just a thought to be born in mind for anyone thinking of going to any country to be employed by anyone..Check that.

Edited by mikesc

Mike,

It is actually illegal for an employer to keep and employees passport in Qatar, the appropriate law is 4/2009, and has severe penalties for any employer that tries to.  Please feel free to check this article about it or any of the many other governmental and non-governmental websites.  https://qatarofw.com/keeping-passport-violation-law/

Seems like something pretty basic to check for a "Professional Internet Researcher"?

Thanks,

Matt

There are so many current articles in the mainstream media in the UK and France ( and other countries ) about people of various nationalities having their passports kept by their employers..( depending upon who the employer is is apparently relevant as to if the law that you quote is actually enforced* ) in particular those foreign nationals working on the stadia there in preparation for sporting events etc..or those working for Qatari nationals in particular.

Even Qataris in France have been in the courts ( well they would have if some of them had not gone back to Qatar , and sent their lawyers instead ) for "employing" ( I use the term in quotes , because making people ( "live in" female domestic staff, frequently Philipinas and Sri Lankans ) work 24 hours per day 6 or 7 days per week for meagre wages that are in fact never paid, or which have "board and lodging" deducted from them leaving the "employee" in permanent debt to the employer..is not in my, nor the court's opinion "employing"..it is slavery ) ..their employers in each case took their passports and kept them..They were not prosecuted in Qatar..Perhaps because of who they were ..in Qatari Society / "Royalty".

I never claimed to be a "Professional Internet Researcher" ..That is your phrase..I ( in one of my businesses ) work as an independent "consultant", "involved in internet research"..( Nuance is all ) ..I do not take the sole word of a government's website ( any government, but particularly a gulf state, having lived in various of them for a while** ) as to how their laws are applied in practice..In my youth I have partied in various countries ( including Gulf States ) with many high ranking members of "Gulf Society", whose people at that time would have been shocked at how their rulers behaved once in the west , or behind the walls of their palaces..Many of the "ex-pats" then as now, chose to pretend such things never happened or happen..otherwise one's visa might be revoked and one might find oneself on the next flight out..or worse..

**I would not live there now, nor would I visit, despite my contacts there still being very highly placed, one reason being, as has been seen over the past few years, one's host can be "in" when one boards the plane..and "out"..disappeared, in house arrest, or jail , or no longer living, due to "non natural causes" by the time one lands..even in the "highest of families".

Very partial to my liberty and that of those around me and of all the people ' high and low" , male and female, citizens and foreigners, in the countries in which I live ( both physical liberty and liberty of expression ) I am...
..a lesson learned with age, some things are not negociable , nor for sale..at any price..

*Who one knows or who one is determines what laws are enforced..or ..not enforced upon the employers.

As I said previously..I wish success to all involved in your latest venture..including yourself obviously :)

Edited to add ..I Just checked the USA gov't and the UK govt official "travel advisories" for Qatar..both are "treat as normal" ( level 1 ) in the case of USA..and nothing special to advise against Qatar on the UK official gov't advisories.. Check your official gov't websites before going anywhere ( France included ) and make sure to notify your embassy or consulate that you are resident or visiting..Given the current political climate in the Gulf ..and the rhetoric from certain sides there..it might yet "kick off" even in a limited way ..hopefully it will not, limited or otherwise ..stay safe.. :)

Edited by mikesc
grammar

Not to join the fray but for anyone watching this thread I just wanted to let all know I just had a very pleasant phone call with Matt, and would encourage anyone interested to shoot him a pm and have a conversation with him.  No harm in that and you'll learn a lot about the job and about Qatar.  I have no affiliation with him or his business but the post interested me enough to contact him.  Matt, thanks for your time and look forward to continued communication.

i might be missing, but .. is the place of the job in qatar?

Edited by nrk

Barbershop, coffee shop, ?high end? leather goods shop? I am left confused. Strange milieu of of goods/services (well...perhaps coffee shop/barbershop makes sense).

The product images do not look particularly well crafted to my eye.