Gliden07

Longer snaps

I need a snap to go through 3 layers of 9 ounce leather. I bought some snaps and the back for the Male part of the snap is not long enough. I was looking at the Tandy site and cant seem to find the answer to this question. This Newb thanks all in advance.

Why does it have to go through so much leather? Can't you recess the stud so that it reaches?  Give us some more information.  You might have to step up to a Chicago screw or a rivet.

I am new at this. Made a little case to protect the blade on my Skiving knife. I had 8-9 ounce leather so between the front back and welt it's very thick (I did skive the edge all around). I have a strap that is going to hold the knife into the case. I made the case prior to finding out they dont make longer pieces for the snaps.

This is not a problem.  Just recess the cap intoo the leather so that a sufficient amount of post remains and attach as normal.  No need to go through every piece.  It will hold.

Appreciate the help I cut the welt and slipped  the base in banged ot down with the setting tool and reglued the whole mess! It's a case for my skiving knife. If it doesn't work I have the pattern I'll make another!

Why not just install into the first layer before gluing up all three layers?

6 hours ago, toxo said:

Why not just install into the first layer before gluing up all three layers?

Well I'm new at all of this I have a total of 4 sheaths and the little skiving knife case now. I'm getting better at this and learn more after every project. Case in point!! Next time it goes in first!! LOL!!

We can all stand too learn from each other. That's why we're here. 

Find a long, thin machine screw with a head that will fit inside of the center of the base. Get T-nuts that will fit the screws. Use Loc-Tite to make sure they don't come loose. 

I would recommend using snaps and Chicago screws. probably use a t-nut on the back to secure it a bit better. can use a touch of glue or lock tight on the threads to  help lock it in.

Edited by Sturme

Thanks everyone. I cut welt and glued it in. It came out ok, had I known the snaps weren't long enough I would have put it in prior to glueing and sewing it up. Live and learn!! Now I know!!

Here is a trick that I use:  I use a FORSTNER BIT of the correct size and bore out a hole that is deep enough to reset the snap.  Works every time.

Only need to make sure leather doesn't ride up or shift - no real problem there.

Leather does compress so only drill almost as deep as you want.  Try a piece of scrap to see it work.

G'Day, I had a similar issue . so I used these:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/ADDw/Durable-Dots-Long-and-Short/pd.php 

The stem is 8mm. I use them on most of my belts.  It does save having to skive the ends of the belts. 

HS