Hi All

New holster for Remington 1858 with 8 inch barrel.

Regards Forester

DSCF8998_opt.jpg

DSCF9001_opt.jpg

DSCF9002_opt.jpg

DSCF9004_opt.jpg

Nice work and holster.

Pretty!

That's a real beauty!  Simple layout executed almost perfectly.

The Remington 1858 was the second most common pistol of the American Civil War (after the Colt 1860).  Clint Eastwood used one in the movie "Pale Rider".  When you watch the movie, notice him reload by replacing the cylinder.

That top Mexican Loop is pretty high, I'm impressed that you managed to poke that pouch down through it!

On 10/16/2019 at 10:59 PM, TexasJack said:

That's a real beauty!  Simple layout executed almost perfectly.

The Remington 1858 was the second most common pistol of the American Civil War (after the Colt 1860).  Clint Eastwood used one in the movie "Pale Rider".  When you watch the movie, notice him reload by replacing the cylinder.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Colt 1851 Navy was actually the most common, mainly because so many were sold in the decade before the war. If Confederate and foreign made copies were counted the balance probably would tip in favor of the 1851.

My brother had an original 1851 his son gave him. The son had gotten it from an elderly farmer who'd turned it up while plowing a field when he was young. No telling how long it had been there but after a good cleaning it was still in working condition. I checked the serial number and found it was made in 1854. It had the early style square back trigger guard with most of the silver plating intact.

Some types of soil around here are anerobic, preventing or slowing down rusting.

The Colts could also be reloaded by use of a spare cylinder but the process is a bit clumsy.

Years ago a friend found a tiny .32 rimfire Remington revolver, based on the same design. The tiny pocket revolver used cartridges only but retained the loading lever for quick removal of the cylinder. IIRC it was an 1871 model.

The actual numbers are arguable because they were manufactured on both sides of the Mason/Dixon and some foreign countries, too.  Somewhere I seem to recall that 100,000 Colt 1860's were made and 50,000 Remington 1858s.  Allegedly a lot of them were thrown away during long marches.  (As a friend of mine who served in Afghanistan told me, "There were days when I thought about cutting the buttons off my shirt to lighten the load.")

Some great work there. Quality