Rossr

Progression of a knife sheath

Sometimes it's important to see your progress when you make things.  I believe as makers we are perfectionists and hard on our work. In many ways it is what drives me forward to improve.  I was struck by this today.  I made this knife many years ago .  Small blade very useful. O-1 tool steel. Tapered tang and maple handle.  I decided to make a new sheath for it. When complete I was struck by the progress I've made. The original is fine, functional basic pouch sheath. Still working fine. Hand sewn with waxed thread.  

The new one on the left is an advancement.  A lot of which is thanks to Paul longs sheath tutorials.  I do not know Paul but I've learned a lot from his sheaths. This one is lined with deer skin to hold the knife in place.  Some basic stamping on the front.  The sheath is a butterfly style.  While it doesnt improve function it looks nice and takes a little more skill.  It is machine sewn. But that is more due to saving time.  Overall I'm pleased with the package. 

Keep making folks. Enjoy the journey . Stop and see your improvement once in a while and see how else you can improve too. 

20191024_101217.jpg

20191024_101228.jpg

20191024_101309.jpg

20191024_101323.jpg

Ross, thanks for this comparison. I enjoy seeing other's progress as much as seeing my own. 

This sheath and knife are top-notch!

nick

That is one fine looking sheath. It's great to see the difference. 

18 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Ross, thanks for this comparison. I enjoy seeing other's progress as much as seeing my own. 

This sheath and knife are top-notch!

nick

Appreciate the compliment Nick.

15 hours ago, akguy59 said:

That is one fine looking sheath. It's great to see the difference. 

Thank you

Night and day difference in skill and craftsmanship.  Awesome work!

YinTx

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

Night and day difference in skill and craftsmanship.  Awesome work!

YinTx

Very nice of you to day. Thanks 

Wow, that is impressive.  I've never tried a rolled top like that.  It really sets it off.

Looks 10 fold better! I need to do this.

4 hours ago, opaul said:

Wow, that is impressive.  I've never tried a rolled top like that.  It really sets it off.

Opaul,

Thank you.  It does give it a nice touch.  Check out Paul long. He goes by sheathmaker on the forum here.  There are some great sheath tutorials he made .  Chris Crawford knives did the videoing you can see snippets on his website.  I have no connection to him or the videos. But really learned a lot from those videos and also his posts on here.  He does all his sheaths with lined leather.  It also helps hold the knife in place without wet forming.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Looks 10 fold better! I need to do this.

Thank you and go for it!

anyone know of a good source for deerskin. what thickness for liner. does it matter if it is chrome tanned

Well, I just got jolted back to reality.  W.B. Place in Hartford, WI used to be THE place to get deer, elk and similar hides tanned.  They had an awesome line of clothing made from these hunted hides.  Well, Tasman bought them out and closed the tanning to hunters.  They make clothing and purses now.   Check out Tasman, their listing had loads of deer hides.  I had friends in Hartford and every visit over there found me with new deerhide gloves, usually five pair.  Friend died and now the tannery is gone.....  :(       https://www.tasmanusa.com/deerskin-leather-gallery

how thick do u use.  is 2.5 to thick  ?

is chrome tanning OK ?

3 hours ago, advansite said:

anyone know of a good source for deerskin. what thickness for liner. does it matter if it is chrome tanned

I had gotten some at maverick leather . Just a matter of if they have them on hand.  2 to 4 ounce  I believe for thickness.  I had the same questions about chrome tan.  Good thread with lots of info below.