DownSheba

Lightening dyes and vibrant dyes

Hello,

I am new to leatherworking and am diving headfirst and loving it. I am getting to the end of my beginners course  and starting on small projects like making gifts for friends. My question is, does anyone know how to achieve a light blue or a green that isn't super dark or a fun bright pink. I know most of it depends on the leather you have and what dyes you use.

I am using Fiebings leather dye as of right now.

I've heard dye can be diluted to obtain lighter colors. But i've had a heck of a time finding a starting point. I love bright vibrant colors and I want to show that in my work. I've already experimented with acrylic paint washes and I love the effect but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, DownSheba said:

I love bright vibrant colors and I want to show that in my work.

To get the color spectrum that you want, you will probably have to look for some place that carries vat dyed hides, like The Hide House in Napa.

https://hidehouse.com/

Start at least with 50% alcohol.  Test on a piece of the same leather as you are using.  If still too dark, double up.  It is best to add dye to a project a layer at a time to build up to what you want. Leather in general should be veg tanned, and not previously dyed.

I assume you are adding colour to highlight areas and not the whole object.

Tom

As Northmount said, I've found that the vast majority of Fiebings dyes will require at least diluting 50/50 with alcohol. Some of the heavier pigments may require more alcohol to get the color you want.
I used old prescription bottle that I had washed out to make small test batches. I'd do one at 50/50, one at 25/75 and one at even 10/90. (Dye/Alcohol). If it changed too much, I'd play with 40/60 or 60/40 depending on what I was trying to achieve. For example, I used 15/85 of Oxblood to make a light pink.
What you will find is that at some point the color will start looking washed out and not be a true color. Royal blue is an example of that which I first saw that effect.
One note... if your state allows it, get some 10ml syringes and use those to to your ratios. That save wasting dye. As you do your samples with each, be sure to write the ratios on each test piece. When you are all finished, you can usually dump all of the samples back into the main bottle without much effect on the original dye color. This is especially true if you are buying quarts.
Oh.. You want to make sure that you are applying the dyes the same way and same amount to each sample. The best way I found to do it is a quick dip into the dye and let dry. Use a 1" wide piece to dip. In and out....

Awesome, I will be trying out your suggestions. Thank you!

I would love to see photos of your test pieces and your results!  I'm getting ready to do a holster for a lady who wants it Teal Green.  I'll be playing with color mixing and diluting to try to find the right mix.  I hope to see how you made out!