Lowball72

Bronc halter design

Can anyone tell me if there’s a difference between a regular horse halter and a Bronc halter other than the nose band? I have one to make and I’ve got horse halter patterns wich I could change the nose band design of.if there’s a difference how so,and would anyone have a pattern I could use?

Edited by Lowball72

I've never made one and don't have measurements, but they're going to be a lot heavier, wider, and larger than a standard horse halter.  Bucking stock usually have much larger heads, due to some draft influence in their breeding.  I think the crown often has a double tongue buckle with no keeper, and the crown strap is extra long to allow for a wide variety of head sizes, as well as having a good "tail" to get ahold of when putting the halter on and taking it off the horses.  I'll look around and see if I can find measurements anywhere.  I'm wondering if John Hopper's old book might have specs, now that I think about it.

The John Hopper book has a lot of tack/accessory items and Big Sioux is correct regarding the bronc halter. I like the book, but it certainly isn't my "go to" book on very many things. A lot of the items lack detailed instructions and the bronc halter in the book is no exception. The vague description might be fine for someone with experience, but leave a lot to be desired for a novice. Big Sioux's advice on heavier, wider, and larger is consistent with Hopper's book. His dimensions were based on a large horse halter.

Randy