Doc Reaper

A Teens First Guitar Strap

This was commissioned for a young teen by his Dad, and it was happily accepted after he saw the test piece and thought the test strap was his sons

C90AE9AF-932A-40C1-97BB-0D37FDB35E23.jpeg

1BC1BBCF-1C07-4E19-8216-3457EA15C63E.jpeg

wow! no replies on this, should I be embarrassed?

Looks good to me Doc. The big machine makes me think it could have had a heavy stitch line around the edge maybe but I like the heavy lettering work all the same.:guitar:

7 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

wow! no replies on this, should I be embarrassed?

Not at all!   It looks great, and I'm sure he's pleased as punch with it.  There are certainly some things you could have done to make it fancier, but fancy isn't always needed and doesn't suit everybody.  

- Bill

They were trying to keep the price down, plus the turn around time was almost comparable to a Walmart purchase 

It's a nice looking job nice job on the lettering is that your own font design it's not easy to make your own fonts I've tried ended not to good anyway great job on that Doc.

don't know how i missed that but it is a nice job I hate doing letters they are the toughest IMO., I'll bet the kid loves it.

Not knowing anything about guitars or guitar straps, it looks very nice to me although I've never seen any that wide.   Costs aside, would the flesh side need to be unfinished so the strap won't slide off the shoulder -- just wasn't sure if lining would be a thing for such straps.  

On 1/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, JayEhl said:

Not knowing anything about guitars or guitar straps, it looks very nice to me although I've never seen any that wide.   Costs aside, would the flesh side need to be unfinished so the strap won't slide off the shoulder -- just wasn't sure if lining would be a thing for such straps.  

This strap was made wide because it was made for his first electric guitar, which is quite heavy. The width was to distribute the the weight over a wider area. Whereas a thinner strap would of made it feel like it was heavier than it actually is. Now is a great time for the teen to get a different thinner strap. We all know that a young collar bone gets tender and uncomfortable with a couple of hours of practice. 

Right, I figured the wide strap was necessary to distribute the weight.  I made a wider strap for my messenger bag and it does help take the strain off when it's kitted out with work junk AND the laptop.   Does the inside need to be lined or will the flesh side help with the friction so it stays on the shoulder (until they get used to it)?