Guest jjd9

Singer 29k71 feeding problems. HELP!!!!!

Guest jjd9

Hello,

I have recently picked up a 29k71 (electric but using the hand crank) and I got it sewing cloth, finally. Although when im sewing anything over 1-2 oz veg tanned leather it does not move the leather with the foot. With a little push of the material it feeds kinda alright but if I stop applying pressure its back to not pushing enough and thats not the way its suppose to be so I would like to know whats wrong and get it fixed. I understand that these machines are old (I think mines from '64) and parts wear. Any help would be much appreciated. 

take care all! happy sewing!

I had to approve your post to unhide it. Anybody responding will have to wait for their replies to be unhidden. If you truly want assistance, please join the forum. As a member you can post this in the Leather Sewing Machines forum and other members can help you without waiting for moderator approval. Troubleshooting problems like you have can be time consuming enough without the hassles of waiting for approval of posts.

Have a look at this post where you can download the service manual which may assist

A picture of the machine is always the best way to go. front and back, but sounds like if it sews cloth and not thick leather then you might need to check the wing nut at the back where it says L M H. This is for Light medium and heavy, if you can sew thin cloth but not leather chances are you have it on L? if so change it to L or H?

20200219_162735.jpg.b868fedad667aab220946bae1a332573.jpg

Thanks for the help  jimi but that doesnt work either. It starts feeding the leather in about 2-3 stitches then it just get suck in the hole that it just made. I have tired messing around with the material pressure via the large spring with no luck. 

I have the 71.72.73 manuals but unless im missing something the manuals do no provide a fix.

im as a loss!

If the foot is worn then it will not feed properly but it sounds like it could be something else??do you have another foot to try?? could you send some pictures here of the thread path and the foot area?? or better still a short video of it sewing??

The stitch on the left is me pushing a little and the stitch on the right is me hauling a little. You can see where I stopped applying pressure on the leather in the stitch on the right at the very end. It just staying in the last hole it made and makes a birds nest with the thread. 

It almost feels like it doesn't have enough power to pull the heavy leather through as apposed to light material. With that said there seems to be enough down force on the leather judging by the ability to see the marks from the foot.

Also the stitch isn't even as I apply different amounts of force each stitch. Almost unusable on final product for this reason.  

Im sure im not getting the recommended stitches per inch but one problem at a time! lol and with my research thats a job for the torch and some brazing rod.

IMG_2351.jpeg

Edited by newfieboy

Sorry if quality sucks with these pics and video. The size limit is so small, I did my best! 

Thanks for your help BTW!! Much appreciated. Its nice to see the internet being used for some good instead of bad! Im new to the sewing world with this being my first machine. I have the PDF version of the manual but nothing else but the help from you fine people! Im use to needle and thread and 2 hands!!haha but this machine feels right in my hands and I know it can be sewing just as good as the day it was sold!

Anyways thanks again !

Much love! 

Teeth on foot really looks worn, I would replace the foot or try to sharpen them with a diamond file. I would also reduce the foot pressure, maybe it works better with less foot pressure. Looks like you are sewing 1 layer of leather so the rough / flesh side of the leather may cause friction too. So in combination with the high foot pressure and worn teeth this could cause feeding problems I think. Just my thoughts...

In the video have you set the foot lift to H = High?

You can increase the foot lift when you adjust the "Lifting Lever Shaft Lever". I have done this on my 29K71 too. To give you an idea read this.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/88903-restoring-oem-stitch-length-on-singer-29k70/?do=findComment&comment=608122

Warning - if you adjust the lever make sure the machine is not binding up, if it binds up to not crank it over and set back the lever until it is no longer binding.

The top thread also has to go around this small pots

29K71 (Klein).jpg

Edited by Constabulary

I fixed my upper threading like you suggested and turned down the foot pressure and believe it or not its a lot better! I used the skin side up at first and it feed it through a lot better. Im going to sharpen my teeth a bit and see if that helps anymore.  

I would say my 29k71 is feeding at 6/10. Are there any more tips you guys could let me in on?

Ill try anything! 

I think also from the pictures the foot looks very worn, That is probably the main reason it is not pulling the leather through??

4 hours ago, newfieboy said:

and believe it or not its a lot better! I

I believe that  :lol:  You need just as much foot pressure that the friction of the needle does not lift the leather when the needle bar is rising - lower it as far as possible.

do you guys (and girls?) think that buying these parts would help with my stitching length problem? I have noticed that my stitch regulator is really worn and leaves the foot with to much play. With a new stitch regulator and gib along with a new feed motion bell crank(for the price its easier) Im thinking it will improve drastically. 

Also a new foot will help with my feed problem?

Thoughts?      

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 5.59.13 AM.png

42 minutes ago, newfieboy said:

This is my foot with the worn stitch regulator. 

Yes that will need replacing, and as you can see that is not helping with the feeding. I would get the new foot also and see if these two solve your problems before changing your feed motion lever. Normally when the feed motion is worn the ring where it revolves in is usually worn also.

Yes, I would replace all the parts you mentioned + the gib on the stitch length adjuster (if it is not included in the $19.98). As Jimi said feed motion ring could be worn too but it´s hard to tell. If you decide to order the feed motion ring make sure the roller #1816 is included or order it separately!!! If it was my machine I would the pace the thread take up lever too just for optical reasons.

The pin on the needle bar is tapered and goes out from back to front. Usually one or two "gentle" hammer strikes will drive it out but push your hand against the arm tip when you swing the hammer.

Edited by Constabulary

Hello,

So I purchased motion bell crank lever, stitch regulator assembly, a new feeder foot along with some other parts (take up lever, lifter, bobbon wheel, ect) and it seems as if the stitch length got worse. The only thing I could change is the feed motion ring slide bar but it doesn't look to be worn all that much. I followed the instructions of a fellow sewer on here for stripping the head down to which I gave a good cleaning and re oiled. Everything looks to be in good shape with little to no wear other than the motion bell crank lever. I brazed the old motion bell lever to see if it would fix some of the stitch length problem i've been having before I ordered the parts and invested any more money and time and it seemed to increase the stitch length from 7-8 SPI to 6~SPI so I went ahead and ordered the parts but when they arrived and I reassembled it seems worse than before? 

The presser foot seems to haul the leather in a circle which did not happen before. Ive checked the gib and stitch regulator to make sure it was facing the right directions to no avail. The only way to receive any extra stitch length is to move the lifting lever shaft to the H position to where I get a little bit of distance but no where 5SPI. I have searched all over the web for tips to remedy this problem but im at a brick wall.

ANY and ALL info would help!

Thanks to all that helped so far!