unokitsune

Please help me figure out how to make this fursuit.

So I want to make something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/5xNLWBGEhbwvwcXu6 out of leather and a little looser with a shorter tail.

I also want to make a helmet-mask head of a unicorn for the suit but with a moving jaw similar to this: 

I know I am going to use vegetable tanned leather for the whole head helmet mask. I know I am going to use 1 to 2 oz leather for the body suit. I also need to make boot-hoofs and gauntlets. 

The outfit needs to be able to survive the great wild outdoors and relatively breathable. I came here for help because the Fursuit community largely believes that using leather is evil and I'm already facing backlash for it.

So wonderfully leather masters here, how do I tackle this project? I don't know how to make shoes/boots unless it is like a moccasin type. Maybe I have to buy boots and edit from there?

That's a large request.

In order to help you to build a house from scratch, so to speak, it would be helpful to know what experience you have in leatherworking.  If not in leatherworking, do you have other experience in, say, making clothes?

So far as I know, there are no books specifically on making this type of costume,  but most books on costume making or clothing will apply.

Many of the techniques would likely be the result of your own experimentation.  Those few people who make complete outfits (eg Princes Armory) need to develop their own techniques, at their own expense and effort, and may not be willing to simply share the results of their efforts.

1-2 oz leather is extremely thin, by the way.  I can't imagine it surviving in the great outdoors or any significant rigor without some significant, and careful, reinforcement.  I would expect that the project would be mixed materials, of necessity.

For example, you can buy a bodysuit that could be used as a pattern.  However, leather may not have all the same stretch as, say, lycra.  You will likely need to incorporate some stretch points.

Do you intend to cover the mask/hooves with actual fur?  If leather upsets that community then fur will likely do so even moreso.  Rabbit fur and shearling (wool still attached to sheepskin) are a bit more understandable or arguable, since the animals become food first and aren't raised for their fur (unlike mink, for example).

If you want bright white, then vegetable tanned leather won't be a great option unless you paint it.

Post the picture here..so that people do not have to log into Google to see it..

The suit we can help you with, . . . basically go to Joann's and buy a pajama pack of the right size, . . . you will have your pattern, . . . and they will have most if not all of the material to make the suit with.

The "head" is a different story.  You'll need to look into how Jeff Dunham made Achmed the dead terrorist, . . . as it would get you started in the materials and process you need, . . . except your puppet head is worn, . . . Achmed it hand operated.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, mikesc said:

Post the picture

I can help with that.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:38 AM, unokitsune said:

So I want to make something like this out of leather and a little looser with a shorter tail.

Did I pick the correct image from the link you provided?

a8d84448ccc778c3f7396008ac1c53c3.jpg