NewfoundlandLaw

Struggling with Footprints

Hey All

I need help:

I am starting to get used to making leather sheaths for my handmade knives. The Cobra Class 4 was a big learning curve but I can't imagine leather work without it now.  

My only issue are the tiny prints the presser feet leave on my leather.  I've tried flattening them out with a bone tool, but they are still noticeable. 

I have a bunch of products like Mink Oil and Snow Seal, but I'm not sure how to buff the tiny imprints out completely. 

Here is my most recent project. I flattened the foot prints with a round bone tool, but still have some noticeable marks.  It is a good example if the marks I am left with. (Black edges are airbrushed with an Iwata Eclipse.)

65B79BBC-3A18-41FE-9ED2-C3545C74A8C9.jpeg

057A7840-F3BC-4C39-BFFD-CD4FA09769DD.jpeg

If you have any moisture in the leather the tracks will be more pronounced. Just a thought... 

Some suggestions;

1 reduce foot pressure to the minimum needed

2. use a teflon roller foot at light pressure

3. cut off one side of the foot so only the foot part which will go along the outside of the stitching remains

I have used a large metal ( 5mm)   ' D' ring , 'O' ring or square ring to smooth those out on occasion, with a bit of ' elbow grease' . 

I don't wish to back off the foot pressure too much in case the adjustment screw comes out too much and  goes through the roof of my workshop  and leaves a large hole  :) Its a pretty  tight spring I'm guessing ?  Not sure if I'll ever get it back in?  Perhaps someone can enlighten us on that ? 

HS

Other than reducing foot pressure I'm not sure if there's a lot you can do, these are big machines designed to sew thick stuff, which means heavy springs and heavy pressure. Just out of curiosity, are those edges burnished? They look a little "furry" to me.