anvilring

Stitch pattern question & one on leather.

Finally! I'm on a laptop. I hate using my phone for forum stuff.

I'm sewing on a Seiko sth-8bld-3 flatbed machine I think... can check that later but: here's what I'm doing/making:

(these pix are on flickr and are public. Click on them in this tread and they will become enlargeable/zoom.)

EDIT:  Downloaded from Flicker and inserted here, Flicker links removed!

01.jpg

These cartridge loops are tricky but I'm getting the hang of it. My top thread is larger than the bottom but I forget which one I'm using; will post that info when I get home. In this next pic you can see that the stitches are "offset" somewhat, (not in a straight line) which is what I like. But I can't remember what needle I had back then that produces this kind of look:

02.jpg

The top stitch, versus the three below it:

03.jpg

Then there's the leather... what kind on leather/tanning process is this? It's about 2.2 mm thick and I like the contrast w/tooling hide leather for the loops, just don't know what to order. I've made these from a box of scraps I got in ebay:

04.jpg

Finally I have some sewing machine questions I"ll ask in this thread later if that's ok. I want a Cobra but I see there's other machines that use that same patent? And that's the case across the spectrum from what I can tell and so I'd like to know what patent covers what machines and.... if there's nuances to be valued; what they are. Lastly, I want to do/sew these w/linen thread. Like the old stuff was done. W/wax I guess. Can Cobra do that? At least the top thread in linen?

regards, mitch

Edited by Northmount
Removed Flicker links and inserted photos downloaded from Flicker

edit:

I want a Cobra but I see there's other machines that use that same patent? And that's the case across the spectrum from what I can tell and so I'd like to know what patent covers what machines and.... if there's nuances to be valued; what they are."

I edit my own post here... question: can I add the Thor GB6-180 to that clone list? for the Cowboy4500, and the Cobra? And who, may I ask, invented this rather "frequently" copied machine? and when? Love history... if it's not too much trouble.

Edited by anvilring

39 minutes ago, anvilring said:

And who, may I ask, invented this rather "frequently" copied machine? and when?

Juki (Japan) invented this machine around 1988 or 1989 and still makes it. The model is the Juki TSC-441. Thus, the Chinese copies are called "441 clones." I have the Cowboy CB4500 and one of my best friends has a Cobra Class 4. Same mechanism, different colors. However, my Cowboy came with stainless steel feet that don't stain wet leather.

5 hours ago, anvilring said:

Then there's the leather... what kind on leather/tanning process is this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the leather is a blue hide, or sometimes known as ' wet- blue hide' , where the tanning process is incomplete. The blue comes from chromium salts, chromium 3 , I think. 

HS

So chrome-tanned , not veg tan. Incidentally, posting links to flikr is pretty pointless, as you have to sign up to see anything. It's always better to post pics directly to the post, that way there's no concerns about pics going missing down the track and making a post meaningless.

Can you see them now? There's a catch to flickr... you have to MAKE them public or no one can see them. Yes, it's an invasive program but it's all I have for now.

Anvilring,

“ It's always better to post pics directly to the post, that way there's no concerns about pics going missing down the track and making a post meaningless.”

What he is saying is photos on Flickr are not permanent - 4 years from now those Flickr pictures probably won’t be there and so this thread becomes useless for someone new in the future who comes across this thread and nothing makes sense.  You don’t need another program - it’s built into this page - look next to the paper clip image when replying.

@anvilring 

“ It's always better to post pics directly to the post, that way there's no concerns about pics going missing down the track and making a post meaningless.”

This really becomes apparent when you look at older posts.  People drop their account, delete photos, move them, what-ever and then the thread becomes useless for anyone reading it down the road.  Please post your photos here.

Tom

Needle hole looks big for weight of thread you are using.

glenn

Ok, switching gears here. Last Saturday, thinking about "new machine" I put this Seiko up for sale on Craig's List and sold it last night to people sewing masks. I told him it was overkill but, he already had one STH-8 and so, he bought this one as well. Then I called a local saddle shop I know of and ask to see/talk about her Cobra 4 and in the conversation, her old boss who was there in the room said he wanted to sell his Durkopp Adler 306. I've looked online but can't find that model and am waiting hear back exactly "what" he as when she goes out to the shop to check. He wants 2k for the machine and she says, it's a nicer easier machine to use than  her Cobra. So I'm going to keep this conversation in this thread if that's ok as I would like to buy the "right" machine this time! I've read Wizcrafts article on dumbing down the Cowboy and some other info so I realize you can't have one machine fit all needs but I'm mostly going to be belts, cartridge loops, holsters and knife scabbards. I'll post exact info on the DA as soon as I hear back from her.

@anvilring

Downloaded your photos from Flicker and placed them in your original post so they won't get lost when you or someone changes permissions, deletes, or moves files.  This will preserve the integrity of this thread for future readers.

Tom

No way to add to the original post so I'm putting them here. Mods feel free to move them if you can.

So I went to Campbell - Randall Leather Machinery yesterday and got needles to make the stitch I want: they are simply called RTW needles... pick a size. And they worked well but now I'm out of that machine and on to the next idea of finding/getting a better machine for what I'm doing.

leather01.jpg

leather02.jpg

leather03.jpg

leather04.jpg

Edited by anvilring

I guess you didn't read my post above!  Already done!  But thanks anyway.  Appreciate the effort in maintaining integrity of threads here.

Tom