DaveP

What grit sandpaper?

I see a lot of leather working videos where they sand the edges.  What grit are you using? 

Thanks again, 

David 

It depends.  If it's two layers and they are uneven, I'll take it to the belt sander for a quick clean up.  I think I've got a worn 180 belt on it at the moment.  If its a clean cut edge and I don't need to do anything but a bit of clean up, I'll use 220 or 320 whatever I have on hand if I'm out of those two.

I sand by hand. 280 or 360 grit wet & dry used dry to even out any bumps not required, then 400 or 600 grade w&d used dry to smooth it all.

Its rare that I need to sand. I usually find that if the edge is trimmed with a good sharp blade that sanding is not necessary

I use 100 grit then a sponge with that green thing on it.  LOL  

image.jpeg.6bdf04df0f799c98f5956a71673d9a6b.jpeg

Thanks for the help...my leather cutting skills are...shall we say a little under par on tight inside corners. Using a utility knife for the moment. Was using a little 100 grit. Seems too rough on veg tan.  I'll have to pick up some higher grit.

6 hours ago, fredk said:

I sand by hand. 280 or 360 grit wet & dry used dry to even out any bumps not required, then 400 or 600 grade w&d used dry to smooth it all.

Its rare that I need to sand. I usually find that if the edge is trimmed with a good sharp blade that sanding is not necessary

Kinda this.

I prefer glassing to sanding.

I don't like how sanding makes the edges mushroom. Yes, you can 'fix' the mushrooming with an edge beveler, but still..