Silvershadow

Pfaff 145 feed dog setting...

Hi everyone…

I'm a new here on this forum, so I would be very glad, if someone could be so kind and perhaps help me with my problem.

I got a Pfaff 145… the exact model is 145-H3-6/01 BSN (I attached the picture)…

It is very solid machine, I cleaned it and oiled it... I also made some adjustments of timing, but because I removed and cleaned the gripper, I had to disassemble the feed dog and when putting it all together, I found that the feed dog was not going in the up and down motion, but just front to back motion.

I was using a Pfaff 1245 instruction manual and settings, but there are only settings for a four way feed dog motion, so I got stuck and I don’t know what to do next.

I couldn’t find the instructions for a Pfaff 145 or 545 model, so I have a problem how to properly set the feed dog.

Could somebody help me how to set the feed dog (horizontal / lateral version) correctly?

Thank you and best wishes…

Rok

DSC_1033.JPG

Hi Silvershadow

The service manual for the 1245 is very good as a general tool.

However, the 145 does not have the up/down movement of the feed dog (the 1245 does).

Kind regards

Danishman

Edited by DanishMan

Hello...

Like I said, the manual for pfaff 1245 is not good for this machine... so that is why I need a help from someone who knows how to properly set the feed dog on these kind of machines.

Regards.

Rok

What is it doing that needs adjusted??

Just use the 1245, but skip the part with the feed dog going up and down.

Hello...

I would like to set the correct height of feed dog... in my opinion the setting from 1245 seem to high in this option with just front to back movement...

But like I said, I don't know if my thinking is correct...

FD height.jpg

I have set up several 145s and 545s using this manual.

For me it has worked fine to use about "one tooth" height above the needle plate.  

You could use slightly less, but the feed dog quickly looses effect if using too little.

This machine does not have the letter "P" in the model subclass.  That is for 4 motion drop feed .  This machine does not have it.  Rather. it has a skip feed meaning feed goes front to back and back to front.

just so you know.  This feed is used a lot on binders.

glenn

You do not want the feed dog any higher than the needle plate on this model.

Hello

That was also my thinking...

11 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

You do not want the feed dog any higher than the needle plate on this model.

I was thinking about half of tooth above needle plate or do you think it is too much?

Regards.

Rok

On certain materials when it moves  it can push  foward,but you can you can try it & see what happens,it's an easy adjustment to lower it if needed.

Hello.

'CowboyBob' thank you for your help...

Regards.

Rok

@Silvershadow

What Bob and Glenn are telling you about the height of the feeder is due to the fact that your machine was made for use with edge bias tape binder attachments. The feeders only move forward and backward on binder machines to help gather the bias tape and push it tightly against the edge of the material. Some binder machines have a smooth feed dog, but yours has teeth. Methinks those teeth will interfere with the normal feeding of leather, pushing and pulling instead of just pulling. That's why they need to be at, not above the top of the throat plate slot.

'Wizcrafts' thank you for the explanation...

Now, that you cleared the function of this type of feed dog, you really got me thinking and I will readjust the feed dog to be leveled with the stich plate.

Regards.

Rok

Hi everyone!  just wanted to ask if is a problem sewing normally with these skipping feed dogs rather than the normal 4 motion feed... cause I’ve noticed that mine has obviously the skipping... yay  

I also have a Pfaff 145-H3-6/01.  I am able to adjust the height correctly, but I need to adjust them forward and backwards.  The problem I am having now is that the needle hit the feed dog when it comes down to pick up the bobbin thread.  It doesn't go into the hole directly.  How do I adjust the feed dog forward or back ward to get the needle to go directly into the hole to pick up the bobin thread. 

Download service manual for 1245,  like this one:

https://www.supsew.com/download/Pfaff/Pfaff 245, 1245%3B 246, 1246 Service Manual.pdf.

follow the whole process from the beginning to the end. There is written which step to skip if you don't have 4 motion drop feed. You don't need all the tools but for sure it is easier with a c-clamp and those measurements things (I finally found them somewhere on the net). I have an older 1245 without 4 motion drop feed, and this was my first machine that I timed with the help of this manual. I did have problems with two baked screws and at some point I also came to a something similar situation as you. Everything was somehow off. I just started again, being sure that each step is properly done. It took me few evenings, now I think I would be done in two hours :))))

I also have a pfaff  145-H3-6/01.  My problem is that the needle is hitting the feed dog on the back side of the feed dog.  I need to adjust the feed dog backwards.  This way the needle will go in the center of the hole.  Any one know how to fix this problem.

1 hour ago, davester said:

I also have a pfaff  145-H3-6/01.  My problem is that the needle is hitting the feed dog on the back side of the feed dog.  I need to adjust the feed dog backwards.  This way the needle will go in the center of the hole.  Any one know how to fix this problem.

Download the manual from the link provided by the previous person. It is likely the same adjustment.

Please don't post multiple copies of the same question. I have hidden your other 2 posts with the same question.