DaveP

Maul dimensions?

I can't see any practical benefit for texturing the head. If you look at the one on the right you can see where the texturing has worn off from use.

I didn't like the idea gluing the other one.  Shaped the original one to fit. Received the head material. Although they sent me the wrong color it doesn't look too bad.  I should have the right color in a week or so.  I wanted red...just because! After figuring out how to drill and face turn the polyurethane,  this is what I've got so far.  Made a brass end piece threaded 1/2-20. Once I get the right head material it will be held with loc-tight at both ends. Wanted to add the diameter of the piece...it's 2 3/4". I got 12" of the stuff.  With them sending me another piece 12" in red I'll have enough to make a lifetime's worth! 

20200612_204859.jpg

Edited by DaveP

Very nice, looks like it would look right at home at my place. Nearly to good to use.

Bert.

Thanks Bert! I do plan on using it...hopefully even make something nice with it.

Geez I didn't realise tru oil makes such a glassy surface, I got to try this thing :)

It looks great, congrats!

Thanks Spyros.

You can get as shiny as you want...takes a lot of patience! More coats the better for a deep shine. A couple is kinda matt. Key is drying between coats and a light scuff with 0000 steel wool.  It's also not slippery. 

Yeah I realise it now, sorry I said slippery before because somehow I got confused with the epoxy and thought it was used in the exterior.

But this stuff looks great, kind of like a CA glue pen finish.  I'm a little apprehensive with the steel wool and light coloured timber because in the past I've had tiny bits of steel embedded in the wood fibres and then it's impossible to remove without deep sanding.  Works great on brass though.

Maybe a scotchbrite scourer instead of steel wool?

Dave, that looks bloody nice, mate.:specool: You said the head is polyurethane, is it any particular type?

The polyurethane has a 70a shore durometer hardness.  That's the only particular that's needed.  

I made mine out of plastic milk bottles that I melted in the oven inside a tin can from Heinz beans:P

I use it to smack everything because i know I can make another one at any time so I don't care.   Occasionally a little chunk might come off, no problem i cut a piece from a milk bottle cap and melt it in the hole with a lighter, then straighten it a bit, again with the lighter, done.  Just like finishing a stitch LOL

Here's a piece I cut off.  Roughly 3/8"...bends with some easy pressure. 

I didn't know about the milk jug application until after I ordered this. It's a great idea!

20200613_090800.jpg

Edited by DaveP

Thanks for the info Dave.

Spyros, I used the milk jug thing too. I did a bit of experimenting with the plastic and like everything it's not quite as simple as you'd think! If you get it too hot it burns, and if you try to melt it too thick, or the temp is wrong, it might not fuse in the middle. I've used an oven, hot air gun and gas torch (requires very delicate application!!) to melt the stuff. When you get it right it's nice stuff though, and turns quite nicely on a lathe. I still have a large container of cut up bottles waiting to be used.

4 hours ago, dikman said:

Thanks for the info Dave.

Spyros, I used the milk jug thing too. I did a bit of experimenting with the plastic and like everything it's not quite as simple as you'd think! If you get it too hot it burns, and if you try to melt it too thick, or the temp is wrong, it might not fuse in the middle. I've used an oven, hot air gun and gas torch (requires very delicate application!!) to melt the stuff. When you get it right it's nice stuff though, and turns quite nicely on a lathe. I still have a large container of cut up bottles waiting to be used.

You have to take it slow, like cooking Greek moussaka!

I mean you're never gonna get it exactly right at home (or maybe you will but with a lot of experimentation), you just have to accept the fact that it will always have this "marbled" look.  I actually find it quite attractive, here it is on actual marble LOL

IMG_20200426_160922-X4.jpg

another option is to change all your workshop surfaces to marble to match your mallet :P

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

another option is to change all your workshop surfaces to marble to match your mallet :P

You're full of bright ideas, aren't you? (Well, full of something...;)).

Some on youtube use the coloured caps to make a multicoloured object, looks pretty cool.

Life lesson that australia taught me, never miss an opportunity to talk shit lol

Well I finally received my red polyurethane.  I had ordered 1 foot of red originally and they sent me black. They had called me and said it had a few air holes in it.  I didn't ask how much or how big. They sent me 4 foot worth! The tiny holes I can work around.  Now to cut a piece off and put it in the freezer until tomorrow. 

20200714_202744.jpg

20200714_203741.jpg

Faced to length and hole drilled. Sanded a little. Back in the freezer it goes until after work. 

20200715_072458.jpg

It's finished!! Hopefully I'll be able to make some nice projects with it. What do you think?

20200716_071240.jpg

20200716_071305.jpg

20200716_082404.jpg

To be honest I'm not too sure about the red, but you did make go and order some tru-oil :)

With Tru-Oil just need patience for drying times. Put it on in thin coats.  Whichever wood you choose it may need a sealer 1st to fill in the bigger pores 

I didn't figure most would like the red. Since traditionally they're black. I  have a red truck, red motorcycle...yep I like reds! 

At least with that colour it will be easier to see - wherever you put it down!:lol:

It grows on me the more I look at it

Why have one just like everybody else when you’re making it for yourself? The red stands out and that handle is a thing of beauty. Nice job! What weight did you end up at?

That looks gorgeous! The handle is exquisite, really one-of-a-kind. I think you have a lot of talent and skill to be able to fabricate your own maul like that.