Kolton45

First sewing machine questions

I'm interested in buying a sewing machine so that I could speed up some of my work but I have no clue about anything related to sewing machines I do mostly small items likes belts, wallets, holsters and that kind of stuff what are some recommendations on beginner machines? I know of a guy selling a landis 16 but that seems like it's pretty big for what I would be using it for 

There is a sticky, by Wiz, above these posts about the type of machine you need to sew leather, if you haven't read it then it's a great place to start. You mention holsters, unfortunately they will require a heavier machine than one used for wallets and belts (I'm talking dress belts here). It is an unfortunate fact that there is no one sewing machine that can do it all.

Yes, a little too big is right although the 16 will work for a lot of the items you listed.  I would suggest a medium size cylinder arm with a flat bed attachment.   There are many of them to choose from and you will want to do some research before pulling the trigger.  

Silverd

Welcome! I also suggest reading the sticky articles in this Leather Sewing Machines section.

I assume since you're on this forum, that it's likely you're working with leather, although that can't always be true. After spending quite a bit of time talking to vendors and other people here on the forum, my best guess is a Leather Machine Co Cobra 26 cylinder arm machine. It'll sew right in the middle of the sweet spot. A little of the light stuff, depending on how many layers, and a little of the heavy stuff, depending on the layers. If you're doing belts and holsters, it's likely that you're stitching thick enough that a 26 would work for you. The 26 is my dream machine.

• Of course, the capabilities and stats of all of the various machines are important.
  • Take your time, don't think that you've wasted time on research, unless it becomes a rabbit hole.
  • If you're serious about stitching with a machine, figure out your budget.
  • Remember that the more common the machine, the more likely you are to find parts and find help
  • …especially when it comes to videos as there are a few good channels on YouTube.

That's my two cents B). There are a lot of very helpful people on the forum, and it's well worth your time learning and browsing questions people have.

Let us know what you go with!

Dikman is right that not one machine can do everything. You'll find that many of us  here have more than one machine for different applications .  Just take your time in choosing , have a play with a machine if thats possible .  

Choosing a machine is a bit  like eating porridge, you want on thats not too heavy, not too light, but just right  :)

HS