William Bloke

Your favourite tools

53 minutes ago, jcuk said:

On Blanchard yes expensive but will last you and someone elses lifetime

Precisely why I prefer to pay top buck for my tools even if that means I can only buy few of them at a time.

As I always say: "I'm too poor to spend my money on junk".

I still haven't learned. I'm happy with all my top notch gear but I still can't resist buying cheap Chinese crap and then upgrading it to the good stuff later. Its a tax on the higher end tools really.

10 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Stohlman's got the design in his "how to handsew leather" book. I don't know if it is still free on Tandy or not but a hint is that those designs are out there on the interwebs if you don't find the book.

Τhanks.  I found this illustration, is pretty much all I need.

st%20horse-X3.jpg

So this is made basically with furniture grade materials and finishing and looks ridiculously over engineered for what it's meant to do, which is to firmly but gently hold two pieces of leather together.

Which is awesome.  It's the sort of thing if you found it forgotten in the attic from your great grandpa's days you'd restore and put it to good use for another lifetime (or three). 

My problem is, just from looking at the illustrations, it doesn't look very comfortable to me?  I know after an hour I'd wish the position of the hands was a little lower, or I could change position and use it standing up for a while. 

And I don't think I'd want to squeeze it with my knees for too long, because it seems that mechanically that's the only thing that keeps it closed?  Unless there's something I'm not understanding about the mechanism (talking about the middle one here, I already know I don't like screw knobs for this job, so the other two are out for me).

I don't know, it's the kind of thing you have to try to see what works and why it's designed like that.   I'm sure there's a reason, people have been using and fine tuning these things for centuries.

I never gave it much thought until I read the post, I just use them.  So  I went to look at all my tools, and while all of  my  tools are my favorite especially the vintage tools ( including me...ha !! ) , it took a while to narrow it down. 

So what are my favorite tools? I would be lost without them or annoyed if I lost them . 

Well, here they are: L > R 

1. my carving knife, its an  angled blade , adjustable. 2. my B701 beveler, I pretty much use it all the time on just about everything .  3. My fave modeling tool , I use the narrow end mostly. 4. My folding  knife, with blades that are easy to change .  I have tried round knives, but my hands are  small and this knife suits me  fine .( its also good for scoring Pork rind  :) )  I sometimes sharpen the blades to extend the life of the blade. 5. My beveler. It has 5 interchangable blades, stored inside the handle, but  # 3 is used mostly, I have others but this is the ' main one' . 6. Last but not least, my  rubber maul /mallet, with leather ..." embelishments" .  I found it in the toy section of a discount shop, never weighed it, but its about 6 oz  I'm guessing , but its just perfect for me . Its been repaired   a few times, but I would be totally lost without it, and I have never found another one since . 

I have a larger one ( about 9 oz)  that I use for 3D stamps etc. 

Its not the tools that count, its the end result  :)

HS 

Favorite Tools 006.jpg

9 hours ago, Spyros said:

Τhanks.  I found this illustration, is pretty much all I need.

st%20horse-X3.jpg

So this is made basically with furniture grade materials and finishing and looks ridiculously over engineered for what it's meant to do, which is to firmly but gently hold two pieces of leather together.

Which is awesome.  It's the sort of thing if you found it forgotten in the attic from your great grandpa's days you'd restore and put it to good use for another lifetime (or three). 

My problem is, just from looking at the illustrations, it doesn't look very comfortable to me?  I know after an hour I'd wish the position of the hands was a little lower, or I could change position and use it standing up for a while. 

And I don't think I'd want to squeeze it with my knees for too long, because it seems that mechanically that's the only thing that keeps it closed?  Unless there's something I'm not understanding about the mechanism (talking about the middle one here, I already know I don't like screw knobs for this job, so the other two are out for me).

I don't know, it's the kind of thing you have to try to see what works and why it's designed like that.   I'm sure there's a reason, people have been using and fine tuning these things for centuries.

Seeing as I've found myself in the workshop on the weekend...

Here's my clam and a picture of a scruffy old git using it.

These things are pretty much standard in the UK (The clams, not scruffy old gits, though you'll see a lot of us too.) They are made of laminated beech and spring closed to hold the work. You can increase the pressure if you want by pressing down with your right leg. What's nice about them is there's nothing on the outside to catch loops of thread and there's a big area inside to hold large pieces, which is useful when making briefcases and such.

It might just be that I'm so used to it, but I don't find it uncomfortable to work like this, I can easily do a full day sewing and it's my fingers, not my back that give up first.

Some folk like to tie their clam to the bench and or add a foot stirrup to close them tighter, but I've never felt the need. I like their versatility as they are.

IMG_20200627_134632-01_resize_53.jpg

IMG_20200627_133030-01_resize_61.jpg

Edited by William Bloke

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I never gave it much thought until I read the post, I just use them.  So  I went to look at all my tools, and while all of  my  tools are my favorite especially the vintage tools ( including me...ha !! ) , it took a while to narrow it down. 

So what are my favorite tools? I would be lost without them or annoyed if I lost them . 

Well, here they are: L > R 

1. my carving knife, its an  angled blade , adjustable. 2. my B701 beveler, I pretty much use it all the time on just about everything .  3. My fave modeling tool , I use the narrow end mostly. 4. My folding  knife, with blades that are easy to change .  I have tried round knives, but my hands are  small and this knife suits me  fine .( its also good for scoring Pork rind  :) )  I sometimes sharpen the blades to extend the life of the blade. 5. My beveler. It has 5 interchangable blades, stored inside the handle, but  # 3 is used mostly, I have others but this is the ' main one' . 6. Last but not least, my  rubber maul /mallet, with leather ..." embelishments" .  I found it in the toy section of a discount shop, never weighed it, but its about 6 oz  I'm guessing , but its just perfect for me . Its been repaired   a few times, but I would be totally lost without it, and I have never found another one since . 

I have a larger one ( about 9 oz)  that I use for 3D stamps etc. 

Its not the tools that count, its the end result  :)

HS 

Favorite Tools 006.jpg

Nice.

The rubber hammer with leather on the faces is a really good idea, I might have to give that a go.

I love the idea of Someone in a shop saying "Well, it's made if rubber, it must be a toy"

20 hours ago, jcuk said:

Yes it is one of those repair or remake.

Just read your first post again sorry about your tools being stolen, bet some of them you could not replace like for like.

In better times like to go to antique fairs sometimes you can pick up some old tools( won't use the term vintage with nice patina )

Was lucky enough while on holiday in France last year Normandy, guess where i took my family for lovely a day out they loved it (not) 

Oh don't worry. It was 15? Years ago that they were stolen, people were amazingly kind back then, but I'm well set up now.

As much as I just like old stuff. One practical reason I like old tools (and Blanchard to be fair.) Is that the more elegant handles just fit in my hand better. At least that's what I tell herself when she hears my phone make that eBay alert sound.

Though it sounds like a fun outing, I think if I took my family to Vergez Blanchard, they'd react even worse than when I tried to drag them around the whisky distilleries of Islay!

52 minutes ago, William Bloke said:

Seeing as I've found myself in the workshop on the weekend...

Here's my clam and a picture of a scruffy old git using it.

These things are pretty much standard in the UK (The clams, not scruffy old guys, though you'll see a lot of us too.) They are made of laminated beech and spring closed to hold the work. You can increase the pressure if you want by pressing down with your right leg. What's nice about them is there's nothing on the outside to catch loops of thread and there's a big area inside to hold large pieces, which is useful when making briefcases and such.

It might just be that I'm so used to it, but I don't find it uncomfortable to work like this, I can easily do a full day sewing and it's my fingers, not my back that give up first.

Some folk like to tie their clam to the bench and or add a foot stirrup to close them tighter, but I've never felt the need. I like their versatility as they are.

IMG_20200627_134632-01_resize_53.jpg

IMG_20200627_133030-01_resize_61.jpg

You look like you know what you're doing and that's a very nice shop, something very authentic about it :)

I'm not sure I can see myself using that giant clam for leatherworking (I need to try I guess), but I'd definitely hang it on my wall right next to my Fijian rib opener (and use either of them as a weapon if needs be :lol:)

i-cJf8XjR-X3.jpg

Edited by Spyros

12 minutes ago, Spyros said:

You look like you know what you're doing and that's a very nice shop, something very authentic about it :)

I'm not sure I can see myself using that giant clam for leatherworking (I need to try I guess), but I'd definitely hang it on my wall right next to my Fijian rib opener (and use either of them as a weapon if needs be :lol:)

i-cJf8XjR-X3.jpg

I can assure you that the longer I spend in this earth, the more certain I become that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Frankly I'm a little offended that I started a a favourite tool thread and you didn't immediately reply with you Fijian Rib Opener!

I know, sorry, it's only because I havent found a use for it in leather working

it really for a couple of steps before leather working, like killing crocodiles LOL

@William Bloke I picked up a saddlers clamp like that at an auction some years ago the other side of Northam (WA) . I only paid about $40 for it. I don't think  the other people knew what it was, which was good for me :) .  I gave it some love &  a clean up . The  simple little strap in the middle is handy on certain items.  They are quite handy for when I'm sewing larger items, and like you said, threads don't get tangled . 

I replace the pieces of leather on my mallet when they get a bit worn. Its just the perfect weight and size for me. 

HS

Saddle Clamp Pics 003.jpg

Saddle Clamp Pics 024.jpg

Ok new candidate for favourite tool just arrived

various-1-13-XL.jpg

Just a quick test, two pieces of 1.5mm veg tan glued together

various-1-9-XL.jpg

various-1-10-XL.jpg

various-1-11-XL.jpg

various-1-12-XL.jpg

Yup, we're gonna get along juuuuuust fine :)

The diamond chisels I was using before have this pointy edge that makes it very easy to place them exactly where you want on your leather, the KS blades have a flat edge instead which makes it a bit more challenging to stay on your line, as you can see in the second photo. 

But that's pretty much the only disadvantage I found, everything else about them is just about perfect.  

Edited by Spyros

I've got the Sinabroks which are very similar to the KS Blade Punch. I love mine. I had them about a week when I drove them into my granite...juuuust barely. Luckily I was able to fix them but my soul cried a tiny bit, not gonna lie. They are great tools and I imagine the KS won't make your hands stink of brass like the Sinabroks do. Enjoy them :)

No granite will ever come near those babies LOL

Only soft things.  I just finished making a case for them, pig skin lined with pig skin :)

10 hours ago, Spyros said:

Ok new candidate for favourite tool just arrived

various-1-13-XL.jpg

Just a quick test, two pieces of 1.5mm veg tan glued together

various-1-9-XL.jpg

various-1-10-XL.jpg

various-1-11-XL.jpg

various-1-12-XL.jpg

Yup, we're gonna get along juuuuuust fine :)

The diamond chisels I was using before have this pointy edge that makes it very easy to place them exactly where you want on your leather, the KS blades have a flat edge instead which makes it a bit more challenging to stay on your line, as you can see in the second photo. 

But that's pretty much the only disadvantage I found, everything else about them is just about perfect.  

When did you place your order? Did you ever get a dispatched confirmation with a way bill? :thinking:

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

When did you place your order? Did you ever get a dispatched confirmation with a way bill? :thinking:

I ordered and paid on the 5th of June and they shipped and sent me a tracking number on the 22nd.

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

I ordered and paid on the 5th of June and they shipped and sent me a tracking number on the 22nd.

Hmm, I ordered on the 8th and haven't yet received anything: neither confirmation nor product. Maybe I should get in touch with them. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

Hmm, I ordered on the 8th and haven't yet received anything: neither confirmation nor product. Maybe I should get in touch with them. Thanks.

Yeah don't worry they're probably just busy.  Shoot them a message, they respond quickly.

Let us know what you think when you get it :)

From their website:

"All of our products are manufactured after ordering. So, shipping is usually arranged about 2-4 weeks later after receipt of you payment. "

Yep, this is what I got upon ordering:

We produce when orders come in.
The production period takes 2-4 weeks.

but,
Due to this COVID-19, the delivery period may be delayed a lot.
I hope you understand that.

Thank you for purchasing our products.

Hence my asking Spyros, trying to gauge their current manufacturing and shipping times since I don't wanna be breathing down their neck with constant "is it sent, yet??"

I ordered a similar set but in #7: one two-prong and one 7-prong.

ADDENDUM: Hah! I just noticed, what they state might experience delays is the delivery, not the manufacture. Delivery has been abysmal all across the gamut: a small parcel from Lonsdale in Vancouver took two weeks to get to Sask. And that's just domestic post.

Edited by Hardrada

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

Yep, this is what I got upon ordering:

Hence my asking Spyros, trying to gauge their current manufacturing and shipping times since I don't wanna be breathing down their neck with constant "is it sent, yet??"

I ordered a similar set but in #7: one two-prong and one 7-prong.

ADDENDUM: Hah! I just noticed, what they state might experience delays is the delivery, not the manufacture. Delivery has been abysmal all across the gamut: a small parcel from Lonsdale in Vancouver took two weeks to get to Sask. And that's just domestic post.

Nah don't worry, message them, just be nice. I mean you're Canadian I don't have to tell you to be nice LOL

Shipping was ok for me, they FEDEX'd it and went to Singapore first for a couple of days, then another 3-4 days to Melbourne.   

Here is one of my favorites, I made this about 30 years ago and it was one of my first forging attempts also lol. Made from square stock it has no real temper and will bend if used wrong. I carried it for years in my possibles bag and made many things and repairs while in the woods with it. Not diamond shaped more square but sharper than heck and makes a nice hole for some sinew. I use it now mostly for enlarging/ stretching my punched holes when sewing. Funny thing when I decided to take the picture I got out my old bag to add to the pic and found two more spares I had completely forgotten about made at the same time but not finished. I guess its been pretty good as I have never had to use the replacements lol.

awl1.JPG

15 hours ago, Spyros said:

Nah don't worry, message them, just be nice. I mean you're Canadian I don't have to tell you to be nice LOL

Shipping was ok for me, they FEDEX'd it and went to Singapore first for a couple of days, then another 3-4 days to Melbourne.   

LOL. They E-mailed me yesterday before I tried to contact them, asking for my phone number because they will use Fedex as the post is terrible right now. :yeah:

I would have to say my stitching bench. My father gave it to me almost 30 years ago when I started with leather work. He is now gone and it will never leave me.

848EDCC1-1513-4EA3-AC23-CF8E013E9976.jpeg

On 6/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, William Bloke said:

Oh don't worry. It was 15? Years ago that they were stolen, people were amazingly kind back then, but I'm well set up now.

As much as I just like old stuff. One practical reason I like old tools (and Blanchard to be fair.) Is that the more elegant handles just fit in my hand better. At least that's what I tell herself when she hears my phone make that eBay alert sound.

Though it sounds like a fun outing, I think if I took my family to Vergez Blanchard, they'd react even worse than when I tried to drag them around the whisky distilleries of Islay!

Oh yes we had a lovely half day trying to find them in the wilds of Normandy and even using my best Del-Boy french did manage to purchase something.

On my clams i have lined the jaws with vet wrap and masking tape can't seem to get round to do it right with a nice piece of leather only had them for 25 years maybe one day.

Vergez_Blanchard_Pricking_Wheel_with_Brass_Holder_Tip_1400x.jpg