Nate88

Help with timing hook (Juki Lu563)

Hi Community

I bought a Juki lu 563 in pretty rough shape. I've been working on it thanks to Uwe's incredible youtube videos. I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to set the needle bar height correctly. I feel like I got the timing right for the hook, and it seems like it meets the needle at the right point. The issue I have is that when I am trying to sew material, the top stitch does not grab the bobbin thread. However, when I have everything taken apart and I'm testing out the hook, timing, needle bar height etc, it does work out and thread from the needle does successfully catch on the hook. I do have the hook as close as possible to the needle (without actual contact being made).

So, here's a little video of what it looks like. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to tune this a little better so that I can begin sewing?? This is my first industrial machine and first time working on sewing machines, so any help is really appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6DiHxPw9gqdw7QAy8

-Nate

It looks like the needle is a fair distance away from the hook. Try moving it to the left until the hook just misses the scarf. When you actually sew material the needle gets pulled to the left. If it is already a little distant from the hook, it is farther away during sewing.

It's a little hard to tell from the video, but you're probably very close.  Would you say the hook passes the middle of the scarf in the needle?  That's a good way to eyeball it.  It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like the hook passes the eye of the needle.  It should really pass the center of the scarf.  

I also agree with Wizcrafts you're too far from the needle.  It should look like the hook is going to hit the needle, but without any deflection.

I've had to adjust the needle guard on 563's before.  But yours just look like it needs a couple timing and spacing adjustments.

Keep at it.  Once you get it running well, you'll see it's one of the best upholstery class machines available.  I have a servo and speed reducer on my 563 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I adjusted the needle bar so I could use 190 system needles.  Basically you just raise the needle bar to accommodate the longer needle.  You won't need to worry about that though.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

(This is a copy of my reply to a personal message I posted before I realized there was a public post as well.)

From what I can tell in the video, your hook tip arrives at the needle too early and it’s actually too far away from the needle. Maybe it’s the angle but what I see does not match what you described.

In the bottom dead center position the hook should be roughly pointing at the corner of the casting as indicated in the photo below. Your hook is already half the way advanced to wards the needle.

DE88D5C8-67BA-40D7-8FF5-269DAB04279E.jpeg

Also, it really looks like the tip of the hook  is not close enough to the needle when it needs to pick up the thread loop.

83F34479-559C-4FFF-AAB1-B5FB0385F281.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

You may have to bend the needle guard inwards (away from the needle) a little so that you can properly adjust the hook-to-needle  distance closer to the needle. Right now, if you move the hook closer to the needle, the needle guard would bend the needle away from the hook.

Once the hook-to-needle distance is correct, bend the needle guard outward again to brush up against the needle right when the hook tip is closest to the needle.

Edited by Uwe

Thanks y’all. I’m working on it again today and will report back. 
cheers

I was able to get the machine stitching beautifully. Thanks all once again.

I have another question about my safety clutch on my machine. I noticed mine doesn't have a spring and if I want to engage the clutch I have to use a screw driver to force the clip down into the groove. My question is, do I need to buy a whole new clutch or can I just buy that little finger and spring? I found some springs on ebay but no luck with the finger.

Link shows what my safety clutch looks like now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mC9RSFmaMTb1G7J78

Here’s a pic of the clutch 

287E4AC7-5886-45F3-AF94-E36961CBBC6B.jpeg

On 7/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, Uwe said:

(This is a copy of my reply to a personal message I posted before I realized there was a public post as well.)

From what I can tell in the video, your hook tip arrives at the needle too early and it’s actually too far away from the needle. Maybe it’s the angle but what I see does not match what you described.

In the bottom dead center position the hook should be roughly pointing at the corner of the casting as indicated in the photo below. Your hook is already half the way advanced to wards the needle.

DE88D5C8-67BA-40D7-8FF5-269DAB04279E.jpeg

Also, it really looks like the tip of the hook  is not close enough to the needle when it needs to pick up the thread loop.

83F34479-559C-4FFF-AAB1-B5FB0385F281.jpeg

My Juki LU563 mysteriously went out of timing after being put away perfectly happy after sewing great.  So, I need to make adjustments to get it to start picking up the thread with the hook again which it is only doing once out of maybe eight or nine passes. Could you please clarify if these pictures are the examples of how it should not be or the examples of how  you are saying it should be? Also, after having a head injury from an auto accident I’ve lost my confidence in working on machines; can you or someone, please point me to any other very clear pictures and or videos specifically for the Juki LU-563? 

I am going to attempt to attach a picture here.  Could someone please tell me if it looks like I need to adjust the needle bar height so that the hook is coming more in the middle of the scarf or not? Am I correct in thinking I need to do this? Would this be my first step to getting it to have the hook pick up the thread again?  Does it look like the hook is close enough to the needle? If not, should I adjust that before the needle bar height please tell me the order in which I should proceed. Is there anything else in this picture that looks wrong or out of place? Does the needle guard need to be moved?

please let me know if you need additional photos or video. thank you so very much for your time and knowledge! Valery

IMG_7823.jpeg

2 hours ago, ValJ said:

My Juki LU563 mysteriously went out of timing after being put away perfectly happy after sewing great.  So, I need to make adjustments to get it to start picking up the thread with the hook again which it is only doing once out of maybe eight or nine passes. Could you please clarify if these pictures are the examples of how it should not be or the examples of how  you are saying it should be? Also, after having a head injury from an auto accident I’ve lost my confidence in working on machines; can you or someone, please point me to any other very clear pictures and or videos specifically for the Juki LU-563? 

The pictures are examples of how it should not be. Uwe has some excellent videos detailing how to adjust timing / whole machine!

Timing is not correct. Check to see if the safety clutch needs to be reset.

Second video is to set timing.

Edited by 64poncho
Adding link

Thank you 64Poncho!  The  safety clutch seems to be OK and in the proper position. I will watch the video and hope that I can apply the knowledge. I may be back with more questions.  Hopefully with exclamation of success. It would’ve been helpful if I had any clear pictures in a manual, but I have reproductions and the pictures are sketchy.  

On 7/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, Nate88 said:

Hi Community

I bought a Juki lu 563 in pretty rough shape. I've been working on it thanks to Uwe's incredible youtube videos. I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to set the needle bar height correctly. I feel like I got the timing right for the hook, and it seems like it meets the needle at the right point. The issue I have is that when I am trying to sew material, the top stitch does not grab the bobbin thread. However, when I have everything taken apart and I'm testing out the hook, timing, needle bar height etc, it does work out and thread from the needle does successfully catch on the hook. I do have the hook as close as possible to the needle (without actual contact being made).

So, here's a little video of what it looks like. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to tune this a little better so that I can begin sewing?? This is my first industrial machine and first time working on sewing machines, so any help is really appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6DiHxPw9gqdw7QAy8

-Nate

Google search the U.S. Air Force safety keepermans training manual. Skip the oxygen canisters section on to the sewing machine section. Here you will learn in the simplest of terms how to diagnose, and repair anything that could pop up on any sewing machine in the world. Even has a troubleshooting section… find your issue, right next to it is your solution. Any problems that can happen are caused by very specific things. Like skipped stitches or not grabbing the bobbin thread, there’s only a couple things that cause that, needle set incorrectly, wrong needle, presser foot isn’t keeping the material in contact with the bed, add presser foot pressure. I see people saying timing every time a stitch is skipped. With that PDF you will never ask another question online again. Covers 4 of the most common machines, 2 of each kind, oscillating shuttle (31-15), and rotary hook (singer 145 juki 158). Only two that matter to us anyway. You won’t be disappointed. 

Hello Nate...Im having problems with mine not grabbing the bobbin thread. Was sewing fine on 1 piece,,went to another now wont grab bobbin thread,,,about giving up. Have you been able to find that Air Force manual hes talking about ? I cant find it.

looking for all the help i can get....I have chandler/Alder67

On 4/15/2024 at 6:17 AM, Jryder said:

Hello Nate...Im having problems with mine not grabbing the bobbin thread. Was sewing fine on 1 piece,,went to another now wont grab bobbin thread,,,about giving up. Have you been able to find that Air Force manual hes talking about ? I cant find it.

looking for all the help i can get....I have chandler/Alder67

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BInD1kgMM1GeHjNmvX9pL5AuArThjFLI/view?

Uploaded file:  14218b_ch9_10.pdf

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded PDF here

Thank you Nate....Going to try working on it today

On 4/14/2024 at 8:49 PM, ValJ said:

I am going to attempt to attach a picture here.  Could someone please tell me if it looks like I need to adjust the needle bar height so that the hook is coming more in the middle of the scarf or not? Am I correct in thinking I need to do this? Would this be my first step to getting it to have the hook pick up the thread again?  Does it look like the hook is close enough to the needle? If not, should I adjust that before the needle bar height please tell me the order in which I should proceed. Is there anything else in this picture that looks wrong or out of place? Does the needle guard need to be moved?

please let me know if you need additional photos or video. thank you so very much for your time and knowledge! Valery

If you loosen the needle set screw how far does the needle move left to right?

On 4/17/2024 at 3:34 PM, CowboyBob said:

If you loosen the needle set screw how far does the needle move left to right?

I can take the needle set screw completely out, and the needle stays in. It moves very little, perhaps not at all, certainly less than 1/8 mm at the top. The bottom, of course, moves a little bit more because the needle has some flex to it, probably still from what I can measure less than a half or quarter millimeter.   
thank you for your time and help!

Thank you Garyak for the files/link for Navy Sewing Machine information.  I’m trying to learn and relearn things. I hope to be able to apply it soon.

Still not able to sew at this time. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital caliper that I could reasonably count on for under $50.00? I know sometimes you get what you pay for, but there’s always that issue of a budget. 

12 hours ago, ValJ said:

I can take the needle set screw completely out, and the needle stays in. It moves very little, perhaps not at all, certainly less than 1/8 mm at the top. The bottom, of course, moves a little bit more because the needle has some flex to it, probably still from what I can measure less than a half or quarter millimeter.   
thank you for your time and help!

In the pic above it looks like the point of the hook isn't close enough to the needle.And once in a while the needle hole in the needlebar gets elongated (on the leftside)from repetitive tightening of the needle . I've seen where the needle actually looks crooked when tightened if that's not the case here you should loosen the hook saddle & move it to the left..

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

In the pic above it looks like the point of the hook isn't close enough to the needle.And once in a while the needle hole in the needlebar gets elongated (on the leftside)from repetitive tightening of the needle . I've seen where the needle actually looks crooked when tightened if that's not the case here you should loosen the hook saddle & move it to the left..

Thank you very much for that insight! I will give this a try as soon as possible, which unfortunately won’t be today. (Appointments that are unavoidable, get in the way of Sewing/repairs/Creating.)