Squilchuck

Which Aquilim rubber cement for gluing saddle fleece?

I have always used regular solvent-based rubber cement (mostly toulene-free Barge blue can) to glue fleece to saddle skirts, but I'm getting tired of the fumes.  I long ago switched to Aquilim 315 as my contact cement, except for using Renia Top Fit solvent cement for wet leather, so wonder about a switch to Aquilim rubber cement.  Renia has two types of "rubber cement" - the GL and SG products.  Anyone know which one would be best for fleece?  I'm guessing the more permanent GL bond would be stronger, but wonder if future saddlers will be able to easily remove it in 10-15 years to replace a fleece?  The SG cement seems to have a weak bond suitable for very temporary applications like sewing, so I wonder if the fleece would lift off the skirt with use.  What do you think?  Aquilim GL or SG for fleece gluing?  --John

I've been using the Aquilim 315 to adhere saddle shearling for the last half dozen saddles.  I like it because I can paint it on with a brush and most importantly, the lack of fumes.  I ran a test to determine if the bond was too strong for future repairs and I feel confident the shearling  will release fairly easily yet also hold adequately.  The test piece appeared as if the fibers of the sheepskin detached rather than the cement failing.  I haven't been using it long enough to confirm the sheepskin can be removed after extended use but I suspect it will be fine.  I should add that I don't wait as long for the glue to dry as the directions call for before attaching the shearling.  I attach as soon as the glue appears transparent which is about 5 minutes after completing the application.  My reasoning is that I don't want optimum bond.  Photo shows my test removal of shearling glued to skirting with aquilim 315.

IMG_0391.jpg

Good post, thanks. I bought some and went to use it for a refleece job, but it had sat on the store shelf too long, I guess, and was thick as toothpaste from the original bottle. I didn't have time to thin w water, so just used regular rubber cement. Sort of ticked me off it was unusable after just purchasing, but I'll thin it out. -John

Another option is the pictured Titebond product.  Comes in a handy quart size that is small enough you won't have such a long shelf life and you can dip your brush into the can.  I never kept careful track but I'm guessing I was able to glue about 5 maybe 6 saddles (shearlings only) with each can.  I was using this for a number of years before Aquilim 315.  As near as I can tell it performs, applies, looks, and cleans up the same.  Water based and no fumes.  I used to be able to source it at a home center and a woodworking store nearby.  They stopped carrying it thus the switch to Aquilim which I picked up every year at the Sheridan show.  If locally available, maybe the Titebond will work better for you.  If I can find it, maybe I'll go back to it myself since I'm about out of Aquilim and there won't be a Sheridan show this Spring for me to restock.  Bummer about Sheridan being cancelled.

IMG_0397.jpg

I'll look for it locally. You can get Aquilem products mail order from Sorrell Notions or Montana Leather, I think.  Thanks  --John

I recently purchased  Aquilem GL because I can't find solvent based glues in California any longer, and companies won't ship glue like Barge to Calif.  Anyway, the GL is also like toothpaste.  It says to apply and wait for 4-5 minutes for it to turn clear, but I have waited longer and it leather still slips around when attaching a piece to the saddle tree.  Can it be thinned? Or, am I not being patient enough?  After 24 hours it seems to adhere ok, and any spillage does just peal off.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Ron

When I got my first bottle it was almost solid.  I thinned it with water and used it on a couple of projects.  It held well but I got tired of thinning it all the time.  

My second bottle, from a different vendor, was the right consistency and works much better.  One thing I like is that the top doesn't seal so strong that I can't open the bottle.  I have two cans of Barge that are sealed solid.

Shooter, thanks for the advice.  I'll try thinning the Aquilem.  Which vendor had the better product?  

9 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Shooter, thanks for the advice.  I'll try thinning the Aquilem.  Which vendor had the better product?  

LeatherMakersSupply

Thanks Shooter, I checked their website, and they are back ordered on Aquilem, along with their solvent contact cement.  I tired thinning the Aquilem that I bought, and it did seem to work better, but it just doesn't setup as fast as Barge.  I am slow as it is, but waiting for glue to dry makes me even slower.  I guess I'll just go take a nap.

2 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Thanks Shooter, I checked their website, and they are back ordered on Aquilem, along with their solvent contact cement.  I tired thinning the Aquilem that I bought, and it did seem to work better, but it just doesn't setup as fast as Barge.  I am slow as it is, but waiting for glue to dry makes me even slower.  I guess I'll just go take a nap.

I just bought a bottle of it off of Amazon a few days ago. The envelope showed up empty and I contacted them and had another bottle on my door step the next day.  I normally use Barge, but figured I'd give this stuff a try after reading this thread.