Memphis514

What is causing this

Cobra 26, 9-10z veg, 207 on top and 138 in the bobbin, stitch length set at 3.... 

DAC0A904-A5AE-45EE-85F2-E45086D1B81B.jpeg

A too small needle size or not enough top tenstion / too much bottom tension. But I bet your needle is too small for the 207 thread

What needle size are you using?

Edited by Constabulary

As the knot is pulled in on some places I would suspect that you have a badly wound bobbin with tight spots or a bobbin that is catching inside the case somewhere. Other than that you may resting your foot down occasionally on the foot lifter that also loosens the top thread tension.

Theres certainly tension issues somewhere. Have a look at the  thread , bottom left, with the tail, you can see the top thread has ' looped' , or as RockyAussie  suggested  the thread is catching somewhere. It'll be a process of of elimination . 

I always have the same size  thread top & bottom , 180/24 needles ,  no issues ( touchwood  :) ) . Just a thought. 

HS

On 8/21/2020 at 3:34 AM, Constabulary said:

A too small needle size or not enough top tenstion / too much bottom tension. But I bet your needle is too small for the 207 thread

What needle size are you using?

I’m using SCHMETZ NM 160 size 23

135x16

It would be better with a NM 180 or 200 leather point needle.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

It would be better with a NM 180 or 200 leather point needle.

thank you for the info... can you recommend a brand with the specific numbers or is this acceptable?  i am not that good at just knowing what all the numbers mean LOL

71LIq6Bz5TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Memphis514

Sorry I am not familiar with the Organ brand needles and numbers. The 180/24 indicates how thick the needle is but the numbers above refer to the system type. I think the ones above made not be leather points either. If the needle comes to only a sharp point then it would be for fabric use. A leather point needle in the Schmetz that I use are LR needles which looks like this when it cuts into the leather \.  If the Organ needles are the same length and the holes and scarf are all looking the same as the other Schmetz needles you have then I would say to give them a try. IF they are shorter or worse longer do not even try them.

I just had a quick look at the spec's for 62x59 needles and they are 41.4 mm , while 135x16 is 38.9 mm long.

I don't know if you have you needles set at the right height for those needles.

Bert.

16 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Sorry I am not familiar with the Organ brand needles and numbers. The 180/24 indicates how thick the needle is but the numbers above refer to the system type. I think the ones above made not be leather points either. If the needle comes to only a sharp point then it would be for fabric use. A leather point needle in the Schmetz that I use are LR needles which looks like this when it cuts into the leather \.  If the Organ needles are the same length and the holes and scarf are all looking the same as the other Schmetz needles you have then I would say to give them a try. IF they are shorter or worse longer do not even try them.

1 hour ago, Bert51 said:

I just had a quick look at the spec's for 62x59 needles and they are 41.4 mm , while 135x16 is 38.9 mm long.

I don't know if you have you needles set at the right height for those needles.

Bert.

ok so i found these on amazon...will they work?

Capture.JPG

For a leather point I think you need a 135x16 LR or TRI  like in this https://www.schmetzneedles.com/item/135X16-DIA-Needle-System-100064

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

For a leather point I think you need a 135x16 LR or TRI  like in this https://www.schmetzneedles.com/item/135X16-DIA-Needle-System-100064

thank for all your help.  looking at what I got i can definitely see the needles are too small.  I found these so I bought 1 of each so I can test out which works better.

Capture.JPG

5 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

This system is also be known as DP X 16. As Brian pointed out, leather point needles in this system are designated as a "16" while fabric point needles are designated with a "17." No change in the needle size, just the point. So a 135 x 16 needle is the same as a DP X 16 needle and a 135 x 17 is the same as DP X 17.

Not sure but I think you might find the 200/25 size needles a bit big for 207/T 210 thread.

I use Organ needles occasionally but prefer Schmetz. I have a PDF copy of the Organ catalogue I found online but can't load it here for you because it exceeds the allowable size. Schmetz and Groz-Beckert both have point style charts online as well. It won't take much digging to find them if you're interested. Sorry I can't give you links but I downloaded them as PDF's and didn't bother bookmarking them.

Regards,

Arturo

A number 25 needle pokes a hole suitable for #277 bonded thread on both sides. A #24 needle is best used with #207 thread and a #23 for #138 thread (top and bobbin). If you use an oversize needle the hole will have too much clearance and the thread knots can be hard to position. Knot position should be adjusted by means of the tension sprinbgs for the top and bobbin threads. Knots along the bottom indicate way too much bobbin tension or little to no top tension. This begs the question: is the top thread actually laying well within the top disks and then around the check spring with a click as you pulled it around the disks?