Sign in to follow this  
Roda

Getting a company name

Hi all,

I am looking to get a company name. So far I’ve only been making for friends and just as gift. All have suggested I get a stamp and get a business name going too. I have thought of it and would like to try that path. I can’t seem to find anywhere how to get a company name. Like would I need to license the name? 
im a newbie here so any information to start up would help greatly!

If you give us info of where in the world you are we can give you the information you require

In my country, all I have to do is make up a business name and use it, as long as its not the same as anyone else's. I can if I want to become a 'limited liability' company for a small fee, but that is not necessary

There are different regulations in different countries

If you can (cheaply) talk to a tax accountant maybe do that first, it may or may not be to your benefit to start a company.  Like if you're simply going to add a few $k a year to your other income, depending on your tax rules in your country and your other income you might not even have to pay any tax at all.  With a company usually you get taxed from the 1st dollar.  If you find you're growing steadily then you have to pick the right time to transition to a company, but don't just do it upfront.   Again depends on your country, but a company is another expense, might need to submit returns, might need to get audited etc.   Talk to a tax guy.

2 hours ago, Roda said:

I am looking to get a company name

Welcome to the forum  :) :)

fredk is right, a location would help .   Any business advisers near you? If not try 'googling'   business advice' in your area, preferably free.  I had a business savvy friend that helped me. 

Just as an example, in Australia, we have to apply for an ' ABN', (Australian Business Number) we can't operate as a business without it, nor can we display  a business name without it  . It also gives us access to wholesale pricing, ' business to business' . My business  is named after the name of our property.  Thats get renewed every 3 years. 

Also,  just check with your local county/ shire to be sure. My business has a shire permit under 'cottage industry' rules/ guidelines    :) 

And don't be put off by any  rules & regulations , tax rules etc.  they may seem  daunting, it was for me, but I persevered . 

HS

Thank you three! Already great information! 
im in the United States.

sorry, I haven’t gotten around to completing my profile 

I sell canes on Etsy.  I didn't bother with a business license or any of that for them. I don't sell enough to justify it.

My wife and I sold antiques in the past.  We had a business license then and there's a lot of paperwork for taxes involved though you do get breaks on sales tax and sometimes pricing if you have a license.  If you do a lot of volume or plan to, it might be worth doing.  Also, different states, different rules for each.

As far as business names go, pick one and use it.  Careful with the initials though.  My shop name is "A Sturdy Stick".  I can't use the initials for a logo.

Look at Trademark registration. It's a little spendy...$250.00-$600.00 US. If you want to protect your logo or company name. 

This website will have all the info you need.   United States Patent and Trademark Office (uspto.gov)

When we were developing a new game, the most difficult thing was to pick a name for it. There are so many games in the world, and to pick a unique name is almost impossible. But with the help of random name generator for games, our team chose a great name, and now we are looking forward to launching our game in the nearest future.