DaveP

What do you keep your applicator in

What do you keep your dye applicators in when not in? Seems they will last longer kept moist.  So far I've just been using small snack zip lock bags and writing what color it is. 

20200920_104537.jpg

I don't keep it in anything.  I just set it down or hang it on a hook.

I hang them on a hook as well. I've been air brushing more and more lately though, it is a whole lot more consistent.

Don't they dry up hard and unusable?

I throw mine out when I'm done with them. A 100 pack on Amazon is not very expensive ($15 at most). The wool head gets compressed with use and doesn't seem to hold the dye as well. I used to wash my daubers out to reuse them, but the dye doesn't always fully come out. So now I just throw them away.

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Don't they dry up hard and unusable?

You can fluff them back up and reuse them a time or two more before they are toast. My main problem is keeping the browns separate so I don't use the mahogany in the chocolate etc.

I use small bits of sponge which I throw in the trash bucket when a session is over. I prefer to start with a new clean applicator every session

I just toss them in a repurposed canned food tin. I wash them with water after use in an effort to extend their life: they'll last for more than 2 applications, but will eventually become saturated with hardened paint and become useless.