AzShooter

In The Process For A Wheelchair Mount

inhYm0S.jpg

Sunday I shot a Steel Challenge Match from my wheelchair.  I like having my gun in a holster instead of bagging it between stages.  Before we got started three people asked me why I didn't mount it to the wheelchair.  I started to think about it and came up with an idea.  I take off the right side elbow rest so that it doesn't interfere with my draw.  So, I wanted to set up something using a piece of pipe in the mounting hole for the rest.

I went to Lowes and didn't find anything or any help.  I then went to Ace, you know, the place with the helpful hardware man, and ran into a friend that suggested what to do.  The salesman helped me find everything and I had the parts needed in about 10 minutes.

I'm was going to use the above holster, I actually did make it ready for the chair by replacing the belt loop with a modified piece of leather and a wooden dowel.  Metal and PVC did not fit the hole.  I also decided to make a new holster for it with basket weave and a slightly raked angle.  I'll post a pic by Wednesday when it should be finished.  I'm waiting for the dye to dry over night before assembling it.  The attachment I made for my previous holster works great, giving me more room and not having the grip wear on the wheel when moving.

Looking fwd to the picture.

May God bless,

Dwight

Got it finished faster than I thought.  I used a dowel for the mount because that's all I could get at the time to make it work.  I'm going to change that out for conduit.  I think that would be stronger.

Wheelchair Holster -1 .jpg

Looks good partner . . . is that 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch wooden dowel you used???  And how long is it??

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi

Looks good.  I haven't shot Steel Challenge, do you have to draw from the holster?  Just don't forget that's there at Walmart or does that matter at all in Arizona?  Not a big deal here in Oklahoma.

Later

23 hours ago, Dwight said:

Looks good partner . . . is that 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch wooden dowel you used???  And how long is it??

May God bless,

Dwight

It's 1/2 inch. It's about 6 inches long.  I need to cut it down to 4.  It's a little long.

3 hours ago, 1961Mike said:

Hi

Looks good.  I haven't shot Steel Challenge, do you have to draw from the holster?  Just don't forget that's there at Walmart or does that matter at all in Arizona?  Not a big deal here in Oklahoma.

Later

Steel Challenge is shot from the draw, Surrender Start.  I'm shooting rimfire and you do not need to draw it.  All starts are from a low ready position.

Arizona is an Open Carry state.  

I extended the handles on my wifes wheelchair

I found that 1/2'' emt  found here     would fit inside the wheel chair tubing 

The fit is so close that if you have a burr or ding on the end of your pipe it will not slip inside the tubing

so after you cut your pipe, use a file to smooth the edge