Sign in to follow this  
Masja

Introduction

Good evening (yes it's evening here, half past 10)

My name is Masja, I'm from the Netherlands, and sinds about 2,5 years a fanatic leathercrafter.

It began as a hobby, but after a few months I got so many questions for custom products, that I thought, lets give it a try, and begin my own business.

I still have a daytime job, I work in a shop (for housekeeping articles and toys) but in the evenings I work in my own shop/workspace.

I made bags, belts, buckles, phonecases, halters, headstalls, saddlebags and more horsetack, dogcollars and leaches, bracelets,

At this moment I mostly make custom headstalls and collars.

I made 1 collar for my parents dog 2,5 years ago, and almost everybody wants something that looks like that. :angel_not:

I learned the first things from a dutch westernsaddle maker (www.vaquero.nl), I had kind of a course there for 1 day. I asked him, because I had a little horse with a little head, that never fit in his headstalls, the browband was always too big. So I wanted to make one myself. But at the time I could make it, I couldn't ride my Lucky anymore (now you know were that business-name comes from ;) ) , he was too old. So I made him a halter last year. We went for a walk together about 4 times a week.

Unfortunately he passed away a few months ago. Still missing him a lot. :rip_1:

After that day with the saddler, I purchased all I needed (Most tools at Tandy.. there's nothing like that in the Netherlands), and did it all by myself.

Most of the things I had to learn the hard way. And I still am ( :censored2: shouting and cursing!). But most of the time it looks good at the end.

Sinds 1,5 year I have a sewing machine, an Addler from the first worldwar. It doesn't exactly what I want (again shouting and cursing), but sometimes it's easier than handstitching. I'm saving money for a good electric one..

To give my customers an extra service, I'm a dealer for other horsetack, groomingarticles, dogfood, and much more. I'm always looking for quality-products. So my webshop is still growing.

Thank you for reading! (I hope you can, I was never good at foreign languages at school :thumbsdown: )

I'm going to sew a little... and then: :zzz:

Some of my work:

halsbandLL.jpg

egelantierhoofdstel.jpg

post-4935-1190578530_thumb.jpg

post-4935-1190578545_thumb.jpg

Edited by Masja

Masja, welcome to the leather forum! I had the opportunity to tour the Netherlands on a Harley Davidson motorcycle some years ago. I have fond memories of all the great people I met and places I visited. We look forward to seeing your leather work!

Tim

Welcome Masja and glad you found us and showed some of your work. That's what happens to hobbies sometimes.

Welcome Masja,

It's good to have you here, and we always look forward to seeing everyones work. Your's looks very good. Thank you for sharing the pics, and again Welcome.

Ken

Welcome aboard Masja glad to have you here with us, Don

Thank you!

I'll post some more pics of my work later, first I have to get 2 headstalls done, customers are waiting.

I like this forum very much, already read many tips I can use. But questions are popping up too, so you'll hear from me soon!

@ Timberwolf: where in the Netherlands did you go? I live in the south, almost in Belgium.

Welcomen Masja,

great to have another horse and dog lover ;-) I miss the REAL goudse kass...

Dont worry about your english, it look perfect to me (english is also my second language)

I'm sorry, haven't been here much. Sometimes I tried to see some of your pics.. but.. :ranting: my eye didn't work like I would.

Last month I spent some time in the hospital, because one eye went blind, I got infuus (bags of liquid medicine in my vein, i don't know the word in English).

I found out last month for sure (MRI), I have muliple scleroses, so sometimes some parts of my body stop. Then I need some medicine and it will be better, but not 100%.

My eye is better now, still blurrie, but I can read better. Still have a deaf feeling and pain in my hands and arms and tinklings (is that the right word??) all over my body, but I can live with that.

Since a few days I started leatherworking again, one step at a time.

So I hope I can post new pics of new items soon.

I still can't read a lot, I have to rest a lot.

Missed reading about your work!! :bawling:

@Pella: you like goudse kaas? Me too! I can send you some :biggrin: !

Here some items I finished just before I got one eye blind:

* headstall little western, little spanish (with a horseheadcarving on the browband and a name on the noseband)

* westernheadstall for a little pony named Belle (it's carved in the browband)

both with an all black leather lining.

hoofdstel_van_rechts.jpg

belle1.jpg

post-4935-1194219902_thumb.jpg

post-4935-1194219919_thumb.jpg

Howdy Masja!

And welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing more of your fine work every chance you get to post.

Mike

Sorry to hear about your troubles keep your chin up and stay after it. Great looking headstalls!!! Wish ya luck. Mike

Welcome aboard,

Netherlands is a really nice place. I visited there a few years back. One local person in your country is Gerda v/d Stroom~de Jong. Her work is with motorcycles and other artwork. You also have a lot of resources south in Germany. Rene Berends has a business in Munich. He's Dutch but you'd swear he was German.

Keep up the good work,

Mike

I dont believe you can send cheese by mail! ...unfortunately

Take care, dont read too much! Computer is hard on the eyes

Thank you!!

I dont believe you can send cheese by mail! ...unfortunately

Take care, dont read too much! Computer is hard on the eyes

Not? And if I send a vacuum-sealed package?

I listen to books now. Very nice.. I'm reading/listening Harry Potter at this moment.

Next week I will start with Lord of the rings, I think.

(I allready searched for audiobooks about leatherworking, but there are none.. :smashcomp: lol)

Welcome Masja. :welcome: My grandfather imigrated to western Canada from Rotterdam in 1917. I was stationed in Germany in the early 70s and had a chance to visit Holland and meet some of my relatives. Holland was our favorite country in Europe.

Your work is great and I look forward to seeing more.