aru

Winter jacket questions

Ive made the shell of my jacket, and im a bit hung up on two things: the pockets on the outside for your hands/ how thick to make the insulation.

If anyone has a good source/video of making pockets, It would be much appreciated if you shared it. 

For the insulation, im wondering what optimal thickness would be. If its too thick, it will only be wearable in extremely cold temperatures, if its too thin, it will require too many layers of clothing. Is it a good strategy to err on the side of thin, since you have enough room to wear more layers/ability to remove and dry layers for fast drying?

The actual style of insulation is something im curious about as well. Ive got a sheet of polyester, its quite dense, I was planning on using that with a canvas liner. My local leather shop alway has good deals on shearling, is shearling much better than polyester?

Im having a fun little "if the world ends, be warm" project spree, if anyone has features that make a jacket better for survival, feel free to share.

sorry for all the random questions, its a bit tricky finding a good source for making diy jackets. The only tricky part seems to be the arm holes, so if you just template that, its a cakewalk! Its weird walking into a thriftstore now, and seeing templates and hardware, instead of clothes/bags. 

Define 'cold'.

Cold temperatures require dressing in layers, so there's no need to make it extra thick, IMO, as the wearer will have to be wearing a vest or a sweater under the jacket anyway if it's really cold. If it's autumny, a thick jacket is gonna be a hindrance.

Re: the pocket question - there are SO many different ways to do pockets: patch pockets, zippered pockets, pockets inserted into the side seam of the coat..the list goes on!

You mention going to your local Thrift store to get 'templates and hardware' for bags. Maybe you should do the same for pockets - at least look at the coats there, to see the different styles, and how they are sewn, then decide which style best suits your needs.

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Define 'cold'.

Cold temperatures require dressing in layers, so there's no need to make it extra thick, IMO, as the wearer will have to be wearing a vest or a sweater under the jacket anyway if it's really cold. If it's autumny, a thick jacket is gonna be a hindrance.

I suppose the best option is to go thin, and have room for layers. Would be a real shame to make a cool jacket then only get to wear it if its below freezing. 

thanks

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Re: the pocket question - there are SO many different ways to do pockets: patch pockets, zippered pockets, pockets inserted into the side seam of the coat..the list goes on!

You mention going to your local Thrift store to get 'templates and hardware' for bags. Maybe you should do the same for pockets - at least look at the coats there, to see the different styles, and how they are sewn, then decide which style best suits your needs.

on my leather coats that I got from the thrift store I only seem to have one style of outer pocket, its not a zipper pocket, they are made by cutting a line, then a little v at each end, and the edges all get folded to make it look nice. I was just wondering what the best way to do that, would be, I didnt know there were many other ways of doing it.

Okay, maybe that's the standard for leather coats. I was just thinking pockets in general!

The only leather coat I've ever owned was a sheepskin parka. I seem to recall it had patch pockets, with the edge decorated with an embroidered ribbon.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:46 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Okay, maybe that's the standard for leather coats. I was just thinking pockets in general!

The only leather coat I've ever owned was a sheepskin parka. I seem to recall it had patch pockets, with the edge decorated with an embroidered ribbon.

23 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Does this help any?

https://www.closetcorepatterns.com/sewalong/sewing-gusseted-pockets-kelly-anorak-sewalong/

It's for sewing, but garment grade leather should be pliable like fabric, methinks.

My winter jacket's pockets are simpler: square, cargo style, with a gusset of 1.25", similar to this:

product-image-861124691_grande.jpg

Thanks for the help, I dont have enough material left over for patch pockets, I think I have found a way though! I do like those pockets on that green jacket though. Ive somehow managed to use 99% of my side, making the jacket. If it turns out well I will take a picture of the style im going to use.

Heavy weight canvas would make good cold wear pockets and also add a bit of design features either in the same colour or say tan pockets onto olive jacket

I ended up going with pockets that dont have flaps over them. They were perfect, or at least they are in very cold weather. If you dont have covers on your pockets when its snowing, but still warm enough for the snow to melt, the snow will melt and drip into your pockets :o

I will post pictures of the jacket when i finally get around to finished the lining around the neck. So far nobody seems to have noticed the jacket was made by me, so I must have done a half decent job!

For the pockets, I recommend checking out this tutorial video which shows how to make simple pockets with a zipper:

As for the insulation, it depends on what kind of jacket you are making and in what climate you plan to wear it in, as well as your personal preference. I suggest looking into different types of insulation and their thicknesses to help you decide which will be best for your project.