BdB

Thread sources - small spools

Good evening, 

I've finished up restoring my barn find Singer 211G165 and have begun practicing and experimenting with different threads and fabrics.    Upholstery, canvas, and small leather items are on the docket.

Can anyone suggest a good source for small size spools (i.e 2oz) of V69, V92, and V138 bonded polyester thread?   I can find thread of course  but at this stage I don't need 7500 yards of each thread  and color -- that may not even work well for me.   

I will be starting with small projects and just don't need the big stuff for now.   

Suggestions for where to buy small?   

20 hours ago, BdB said:

Can anyone suggest a good source for small size spools (i.e 2oz) of V69, V92, and V138 bonded polyester thread? 

YES! You can buy small 375 yard spools of bonded nylon thread, in a bunch of colors, all in size 69, from Wawak. They also sell scissors, thread snips, zippers and tailoring supplies.

You can get 8 ounce spools of bonded thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. They may have smaller spools too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bruce

17 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

YES! You can buy small 375 yard spools of bonded nylon thread, in a bunch of colors, all in size 69, from Wawak. They also sell scissors, thread snips, zippers and tailoring supplies.

Somebody PIN this, or tweet, or twist, or like, or whatever.....

EVIDENCE that you CAN get a straight answer on lw.net

1/4 lb spools are quite common - in 138 that’s about 700 yards and runs somewhere around $10 - slightly more from larger thread suppliers and slightly less from no-name online sources.

My vote goes for the Thread Exchange.   Good prices, good information, good selection.

The absolutely cheapest thread on eBay may be $10 per lb, but be careful of old thread because the waxes on the thread tend to cause sticking and the the resulting uneven stitch tension.   Big sewing shops will have spool rewinders just to be able to use thread that begins to stick, but it’s just not easy for the home gamer.

Or, PM me what you are looking for.  I have a lot of decent machine thread, and mostly hand sew, so I could part with some for pretty cheap.

YinTx