Wdiaz03

Cheap Chinese sewing machine question

I bought this machine years ago and use it for what it's intended for, repair. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up and polishing everything I could and it runs well, eventually mounted it to a table and attached a 550W motor to it. I only use it on occasion and it's great for those very hard to get at places which none of my other machines will sew. Is it for production of fine leather goods? No, but for repair work it's amazing. I looked at the old 29K's and could not find one any where near me so I took a chance and bought the Chinese patcher and am happy with it for the limited work it does. I generally run V92 top and bottom with 135x17 needles. I have run V69 for actually applying patches to a hat and jacket, works fine. Perhaps I was lucky with mine but if you play around enough with it you can get it to sew reasonably well. Not as nice as my other industrial machines, but unique in it's capability so I have left it set up.

HUH...Can not edit.   I bought a CP, and that machine and i went round and round,   Finally, I figured it out

If you are not mechanically inclined, Do not buy one. If you are handy with a wrench then the machine IS A GOOD sewing machine. Just stop and think. It was designed to patch a shoe, that means it was designed to sew a stitch line about an inch or two long. it is not a sewing machine. It CAN BE, but you are going to have to put the effert into the machine to reach that goal.  First off.  tear it down a get rid of all burs and rough spots in the metal. Then, you have to learn and understand how the machine operates . you will have to learn about tension . This is what i mean.   I was 2 pcs of 6oz chrome tan, the tension was set about midway on one of the tension adjusters.  Then I decided to sew 2 pcs of 9oz veg tan. and all hell broke loose. I had a rats nest on the bottom  I finally figured out that I did not have enough tension.  To get the correct tension I used TWO tension adjusters. I say this to show you that the tension adjustment is a huge factor.  

secondly.  I can not control a decent stitch line when hand cranking. I can however make a pretty handsome stitch line after I added a servo.you need to power it.

the cheapest way I have found to attach a pulley to the machine.  Use a light fixture offset cross bar. See image  and a 6''' chicago v belt pulley.  attach crossbar to the hand crank wheel bolt.  attach the pulley to the cross bar by drilling 2 holes

light fixture offset.jpeg

It looks pretty accurate here (go to 8:40)

It's amazing how persistent this question is!  I guess if the question is asked and answered enough one might eventually get an answer that enables a purchase.

1 hour ago, Squid61 said:

It's amazing how persistent this question is!  I guess if the question is asked and answered enough one might eventually get an answer that enables a purchase.

Read my post.  I own one and i am telling you that it does work, it is worth the $120.00 I paid for it

It comes with a "BUT"  it is not for everyone, 

It is a tinkers delight.  If you are a person that only buys new stuff and can not be bothered with the nuts and bolts of it. STAY AWAY. you will waste your money

If you like to fiddle, piddle, tinker or putter  You will love that machine

That answer is a truthful answer. 

Here is a little som'n som'n  

I  fabricated a servo control; arm 

servo linkage - YouTube

I

and

moved the foot lift lever from the r side to the left side,  i am working on this today.  i need a rod coupling

Edited by Frodo

Frodo, my remaining life expectancy and limited income can tolerate time and money expenditures that directly support my hobby or I can, as you say, piddle both away on a hit or miss - may work sometimes Chinese erector set.  I choose leather.

3 hours ago, Squid61 said:

Frodo, my remaining life expectancy and limited income can tolerate time and money expenditures that directly support my hobby or I can, as you say, piddle both away on a hit or miss - may work sometimes Chinese erector set.  I choose leather.

As mentioned earlier, Only you can determine if the CP is right for you or not,  You sir,  Have evaluated your options and arrived at a decision that fits your needs . I respect that decision and am actually a little jealous that you are financially comfortable enough to afford nice shiny machines. Me on the other hand am not in that position. If I were I would have a Singer 31-15 31k sitting in front of me.    Frodo

Edited by Frodo

22 hours ago, Frodo said:

As mentioned earlier, Only you can determine if the CP is right for you or not,  You sir,  Have evaluated your options and arrived at a decision that fits your needs . I respect that decision and am actually a little jealous that you are financially comfortable enough to afford nice shiny machines. Me on the other hand am not in that position. If I were I would have a Singer 31-15 31k sitting in front of me.    Frodo

The only nice shiny machine I can afford is the occasional new package of hand stitching needles!  Not sure where the idea came from that I even have a sewing machine, oh yeah, there is the wife's old Singer that I have yet to evaluate.

1 hour ago, Squid61 said:

The only nice shiny machine I can afford is the occasional new package of hand stitching needles!  Not sure where the idea came from that I even have a sewing machine, oh yeah, there is the wife's old Singer that I have yet to evaluate.

My BAD.  I used that word.  you know the one. ASSUME.  

BUT good news. Is your wife's old singer a 66 by any chance?  if it is then you have a little surprise

I KNOW, I know.  people say they will not sew leather.  they also say........and that isnt true either. LOL

If you have a 66  then buy some #20 leather needles and you can sew 2 pces of 6oz  together  

here is a video of an old singer I picked up for almost nothing.  I oiled it and put a needle in it

https://youtu.be/mFAB33TJAOs

Edited by Frodo

Hey Frodo, can ANY old singer sewing machine be used for leather?  Feels like there's a million of them out there, and I'm pretty sure we have a black one in my family in an attic somewhere (sadly in another country, I'd have to have it shipped over), but how do I know which ones are good for leather?

By the way I can see in that video you have maker's fingers, when I meet people with fingers covered in dye and glue I know we're gonna be friends LOL

If it's an old cast iron machine there's a pretty good chance it will sew leather of some sort. How thick will depend on the type of machine. I have an old 201K, and while I didn't try sewing with it I used it for pre-punching veg prior to handstitching.

Yeah it's definitely on of those black, cast iron ones, with the gold decals.  All manual, it hails from about a century ago.  It used to be my grandma's but unfortunately I wasn't able to locate it in my last trip to my parent's home.  Must be in the attic.

3 hours ago, Spyros said:

Hey Frodo, can ANY old singer sewing machine be used for leather?  Feels like there's a million of them out there, and I'm pretty sure we have a black one in my family in an attic somewhere (sadly in another country, I'd have to have it shipped over), but how do I know which ones are good for leather?

By the way I can see in that video you have maker's fingers, when I meet people with fingers covered in dye and glue I know we're gonna be friends LOL

I am no expert and can not answer any questions about any machine except the one I have

I bet Wizcraft knows which which is which .

Spyros, this is the day i dyed a lot of little pieces with out gloves

019.JPG.cb3279c78c0ec6f49078323901a30240.JPG

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

I am no expert and can not answer any questions about any machine except the one I have

I bet Wizcraft knows which which is which .

Spyros, this is the day i dyed a lot of little pieces with out gloves

019.JPG.cb3279c78c0ec6f49078323901a30240.JPG

looks like mine when i grease the wheel bearings on my truck lol. 

14 hours ago, Frodo said:

My BAD.  I used that word.  you know the one. ASSUME.  

BUT good news. Is your wife's old singer a 66 by any chance?  if it is then you have a little surprise

I KNOW, I know.  people say they will not sew leather.  they also say........and that isnt true either. LOL

If you have a 66  then buy some #20 leather needles and you can sew 2 pces of 6oz  together  

here is a video of an old singer I picked up for almost nothing.  I oiled it and put a needle in it

Not sure of the model number.  Like a lot of old stuff that accumulates, it's somewhat buried under a lot of other old stuff so I can't easily get to it but I can see it from here!  For now I'm content hand stitching.

2 hours ago, Squid61 said:

Not sure of the model number.  Like a lot of old stuff that accumulates, it's somewhat buried under a lot of other old stuff so I can't easily get to it but I can see it from here!  For now I'm content hand stitching.

Well now you have me more curious than a cat. I gotta know what you have  under that stuff.  

Edited by Frodo

21 hours ago, Squid61 said:

wife's old Singer

How old? Hand-crank Singers can be used to replace zippers in jackets. Up to 2 layers of 3oz.

7 hours ago, Squid61 said: