Sign in to follow this  
ToddW

looking for a pattern for a leather apron

I have been looking at leather aprons and looking for ideas.  Pockets, buckles..  Just curious what people like.. lots of them out there and been reading reviews..  

Aprons are very personal items. You may just have to draw up a pattern based on the ones you see.

You can buy patterns on the like of etsy, eg https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/900527127/leather-apron-pattern-apron-templates?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=apron+pattern&ref=sr_gallery-1-40&organic_search_click=1&pro=1

Some books have basic apron patterns. eg, afair, this book has one in it;  Leatherworks : traditional craft for modern living Author: Otis Ingrams

As fredk mentioned a work apron is a personal item and its design can relate directly to how you like to perform your work and what you'll actually be doing. Do you want something to simply protect your clothing or do you like to have pockets and such to have tools at the ready? Simple or complex make it fit your needs.

Adam Savage has an interesting video about making an apron that you can find on YouTube. Also, Terrick from Chartermade has a free pattern on his website and a video about making one :

you can get a basic apron pattern for fabric and work off that to customize it for leather. The pattern wont know and wont care. Or you can get a basic apron from a thrift store and deconstruct it.

Or start at your belly button measure down how long you want it, measure up how high you want it, add the two cut a big rectangle out then measure nip to nip or there about and how far under your arm you want it, or down to your hip where the tie will be. use these to cut out the upper parts . then add at your discretion the pockets or what ever. i would use some paper to make the first pattern then transfer to leather after you get the dimension correct.

Edited by chuck123wapati

6 hours ago, ToddW said:

I have been looking at leather aprons and looking for ideas.  Pockets, buckles..  Just curious what people like.. lots of them out there and been reading reviews..  

can you sew?

I took an old pair of carhart bib overalls   and repurposed them into a  work apron

work very well