Boicie

White Belts

I don't want to try this... now... but I am curious, how do you get leather white?

I'm a history teacher and know that they used to use white pipe clay but I assume we have something better now?

I haven't seen any dyes that make leather even lighter so I'm racking my brain.

Thanks

Fiebing did make white and grey dye once, but no more.  To counter it, I've ordered white and grey from the tannery.  Even from a tannery, can be daunting to find.

As a home recipe, perhaps this might be helpful:

Don't know if it works, but this lad seems to think so.  Will take quite a bit of time.

Abbey sell white bridle butts never used it myself not a fan of white bridles.

https://www.abbeyengland.com/bridle-butt-white-3-5-4mm-1903.html

Hope this helps

JCUK

8 hours ago, Boicie said:

I don't want to try this... now... but I am curious, how do you get leather white?

I'm a history teacher and know that they used to use white pipe clay but I assume we have something better now?

Thanks

Native Americans leather turned out white due to the tanning method, they used the brains of the animal to tan the hide then it was smoked to help with water resistance which turned it a light tan color..

8 hours ago, Boicie said:

Thanks

You may have to put in a special order somewhere. I have used Conceria Walpier "Buttero" leather many times, just not white. Rocky Mountain Leather is a great company to deal with. https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/view-all-leather/products/buttero-veg-tanned-leather-5oz-made-in-italy?variant=32321117552749

y'all (except chuck) are missing the OPs question

He doesn't want to buy white leather, or how to dye it white,  he just wants to know how its made!

afaik modern white leather is produced by using strong acids and chemicals during the tanning

Having started my soldiering when our kit was cotton webbing, we'd start with it natural colour and apply blanco until an even colour was found. And then it would rain, so our uniforms would need dry-cleaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanco_(compound)

These days it's white plastic. There is an anyline titanium white, though.

Edited by Rahere

22 hours ago, fredk said:

y'all (except chuck) are missing the OPs question

He doesn't want to buy white leather, or how to dye it white,  he just wants to know how its made!

afaik modern white leather is produced by using strong acids and chemicals during the tanning

Yes your right, i wanted to check something out, it been a long time since i had anything to do with white bridle leather which at the time was just sprayed coated white hated using the stuff it just cracked and peeled off so i wanted to find out if some of the tanning techniques have improved, my suspicions were right they have not improved for white leather yes still sprayed coated.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Abbey sell white bridle butts never used it myself not a fan of white bridles.