Spyros

How long does it take you to finish an item with painted edges

I'm not talking about leather dye or coloured Tokonole or any other way of coating an edge.   I'm talking about edge paint like Giardini, Fenice or similar.

The way I understand it, edge paint needs to go on thick, which means multiple coats with drying time in between.   And it has to dry completely because you probably need to sand lightly between coats.

Edge paint is however fairly thin and runny, so you can't very well do all edges and then put your work it flat on a table and wait for it to dry, the paint will drip over the edge.  It seems to me you have to do one edge, let it stand vertical somehow until it's dry, do the next edge, let it dry, until you've finished all edges, then sand, and repeat the whole process for the next coat.

That sounds like many hours, maybe more than a day just to finish edge painting.

Am I missing something?  Is there a faster way?  Would a heat gun help dry faster or it would destroy it completely?

Edited by Spyros

9 hours ago, Spyros said:

That sounds like many hours, maybe more than a day just to finish edge painting.

Am I missing something?  Is there a faster way?  Would a heat gun help dry faster or it would destroy it completely?

Hours to days. Not missing a thing.  

I use a fan  that speeds up drying time.  I keep it at a distance on low speed.  I've tried a heat gun but it seemed to dry the outside coat and not the inside fully.  I find that doing opposite sides at the same time works.  Say I have a wallet, I do one edge then flip it over and do the opposite edge.  So now top and bottom is done.  I then clamp it in a vice or put a couple of spring clips on it to hold it upright.  If you do a vertical side it will run.

I just finished off a wallet the other day.  I put one coat on at night, the next day it took most of the day to put on three more coats with sanding in-between.

I've read where some people put multiple thin coats so it dries faster. 

I like Uniters paint.

Thanks Mike

Geez it sounds like something I'll reserve for something special or if someone specifically requests it.  I don't think I have the patience to do it very often.

It doesn't sound like anything I would ever consider.

i hang my stuff up to dry, i sand and burnish until i like the edge, just like anything painted its the prep work before that is the key to a good finish paint doesn't fill cracks gaps or holes on leather either lol. Then  i use the wooden end of a paintbrush to coat the edges, just dip it in the paint, i figure the makers have made it the right consistency , wipe the drip and slide it down the edge. But I'm sure as heck not as ocd about it as some I've seen. 

I use edge paint very rarely. But it seems mine dries faster than the types you lot use. Mine is touch dry in about 10 minutes. So by the time I've got round something the start is dry.  I leave things for as long as until I remember I have to finish it. I don't sand before the next coat, I just rub it over with a painter's prep pad. A second coat is normally enough.

Depending on the level of finishing you are after it can be very time consuming. Several coats with sanding or ironing in between are normal and thin coats dry faster and don't drip and dry pretty quick. Some thin jobs can be done with one layer and a quick iron and polish.

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i sand and burnish until i like the edge

Sanding yes but not burnishing as this can stop the paint from adhering to the job well and can just peel off in a long strip. Been there done that.

10 hours ago, fredk said:

I use edge paint very rarely. But it seems mine dries faster than the types you lot use. Mine is touch dry in about 10 minutes. So by the time I've got round something the start is dry.  I leave things for as long as until I remember I have to finish it. I don't sand before the next coat, I just rub it over with a painter's prep pad. A second coat is normally enough.

what brand is that?

9 hours ago, Spyros said:

what brand is that?

I bought it through an ebay.uk seller. Its made in Italy and the brand is 'Fenice'