Hi.

Has anyone bought leather from GH Leathers? So far I've bought leather from J Wood Leathers and Metropolitan Leather. I've had good and bad leather from both of them. I thought I might try GH Leathers this time.

Thanks.

Scott

Hello.

No one has any experience of this business? The price for a side of their Texas Crazy Horse leather, suitable for making footwear, seems low compared to similar leathers from J Wood Leathers and Metropolitan Leather.

Scott

Never used them, I notice that the have a minimum order of 3 skins, so that could be why they are cheaper 

I've heard of them, and good things at that but never used them myself.

Don't be surprised that you didn't get a reply within 24 hours, this forum appears to get a lot less traffic than it has in the past, UK leatherworkers are a small proportion of that, and then think how small a proportion of them may have used GH.

That price looks pretty good, I usually pay about £4/SQFT + VAT for similar leathers.

Out of interest, what bad leather did you get from J Woods and Metropolitan? I've used them both for years and never had an issue.

I have used  Metropolitan for a long time  never had any issues with their leather but having said that i am just close enough to drive and select the leather myself most of the time and on the times i could not have never been dissatisfied with what they have sent.  

Matt S: Thanks for your comment about GH Leathers. Regarding the bad leather, Metropolitan Leather sent me a dry, unwaxed side as a replacement for a lovely, waxed side that had been badly creased. The replacement side also had some bird poop on it. J. Wood Leathers sent me a side of leather that was very stretchy, like belly leather, and marred with large areas of an imperfection that I can only describe as being like crazy paving. It needs to be noted though that both suppliers have also sold me good leather that I could not fault.

jcuk: Thanks for your comment.

Scott

Edited by ScottEnglish

20 hours ago, Matt S said:

I've heard of them, and good things at that but never used them myself.

Don't be surprised that you didn't get a reply within 24 hours, this forum appears to get a lot less traffic than it has in the past, UK leatherworkers are a small proportion of that, and then think how small a proportion of them may have used GH.

That price looks pretty good, I usually pay about £4/SQFT + VAT for similar leathers.

Out of interest, what bad leather did you get from J Woods and Metropolitan? I've used them both for years and never had an issue.

I just got an economy veg tan side and a 3kilo bundle From Zack at J Wood. The side was ok but the bundle was far from ok. I was hoping to get some 3 inch squares for some patchwork. What I got was mostly the edges left over from the die press bin. That was £40+ and I've just seen they've increased it to £50+. Won't be doing that again.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, ScottEnglish said:

HaloJones: You can buy just a side of the Texas Crazy Horse leather.

Scott 

Must of just been the one I looked at :)

as I don’t use much I tend to use JT Batchelor & go in person to their store in London.

let us know your thoughts if you give GH a try.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:18 PM, toxo said:

I just got an economy veg tan side and a 3kilo bundle From Zack at J Wood. The side was ok but the bundle was far from ok. I was hoping to get some 3 inch squares for some patchwork. What I got was mostly the edges left over from the die press bin. That was £40+ and I've just seen they've increased it to £50+. Won't be doing that again.

It's a shame you didn't get nicer bits in your bag. £40 for 3Kg is pretty steep even if it's nice stuff. I like what J Woods sells for the most part but I don't think I'd pay more than a tenner for a lucky dip with no indication or direction what's in it.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:40 PM, ScottEnglish said:

Metropolitan Leather sent me a dry, unwaxed side as a replacement for a lovely, waxed side that had been badly creased. The replacement side also had some bird poop on it. J. Wood Leathers sent me a side of leather that was very stretchy, like belly leather, and marred with large areas of an imperfection that I can only describe as being like crazy paving. It needs to be noted though that both suppliers have also sold me good leather that I could not fault.

Scott, I'm sorry to hear that you've had those issues with Metropolitan and J Wood. They were disappointing I'm sure, but if they're "one offs" I hate to say that these things happen in any largish pick/pack warehouse, especially where the product is variable like with leather. I hope that they made things right in the end. I've had issues every so often with what dealers have sent me, and to an extent their workers seem to just pull what first meets your order from the stack. Sometimes they read your order wrong. To be fair to them they often don't know what you're looking for, might not know what to look for, and sometimes aren't paid enough to care very much. Generally the more experienced/knowledgeable/senior staff step in and sort any issues I have that are big enough to make a fuss about. Sometimes I've been outright told "for this price we're not going to search through a stack of hides looking for ones to meet your spec" and I respect that. It's just part of the downside of ordering blind vs. buying in person.