Jimbob

Cobra class 20 visa Juki 1508HN

I am interested in a Cobra 20, Cowboy 1541 or a Juki 1508 HN.....is the Cobra #20 a 1508 clone?? Which is the better machine...?? I am doing book covers, wallets, heavy veg tan  book covers, chap tops, veg tan sleeves, small flat bags, I dont just want to end up with a mediocre upholstery machine!!?? ....I do have a Cobra #3 for the big fat stuff.

Any input would be great, thanks!!

I think the best of the three is the Juki LU-1508HN but the price is going to be much higher, probably north of $4000 US. I would place the 1508HN closer to your Class 3 capabilities which may prove to be to much machine for lighter items.

To give you an example of how different classes of machines work with material Sewing Gold has a good set of videos on youtube. They show the end result with three Juki's dnu-1541s, du-1181n and ddl-8700 sewing the same light, medium and heavy fabric. I would class the 1541S as a good compound feed upholstery type machine, 1181n a walking foot machine and the 8700 as a garment machine.

I wouldn't count out the Juki DNU-1541S (~$1800 US) for your sewing needs, it maybe a good fit for your needs.

I still would advise you to check out a dealer with a sample of your items and then make a decision. Also another option maybe changing the needle plate and feed dog if it will work on your Class 3 like what was recently discuss here under the topic "

A liitle change to make a BIG differance on Cowboy sewing machines

By RockyAussie, October 30 in Leather Sewing Machines

"

kgg

Edited by kgg
spelling

The Juki 1508NH is more heavy duty than the others listed and has a longer stroke.  I have the 1508NH and have used the Cobra class 20.  The Cobra is probably a little easier to use starting out and significantly less money.   Both are great machines.   There are a lot of good threads to comparing machines one is below.  

I am following this conversation as I would like to upgrade from a 111w155 to another flatbed machine with reverse.  I also have a Juki 8700 and a Class 4.  I sew mainly upholstery canvas and chrome tan leather with the 111w (138 thread), but am starting to overtax it with too many layers, so it will skip stitches when doing so.  The 111w is good because it is very versatile- I can make denim jeans, a leather jacket or fix military canvas surplus.  The  machines that look like the most promising replacements are the Class 20, the 1508 and the Thor 1541s GC which has a speed reducer.  Would the 1508 or the Class 20 be too much for the regular upholstery fabric/denim?

Thank you for any insights or responses

19 minutes ago, Willie0 said:

I am following this conversation as I would like to upgrade from a 111w155 to another flatbed machine with reverse.  I also have a Juki 8700 and a Class 4.  I sew mainly upholstery canvas and chrome tan leather with the 111w (138 thread), but am starting to overtax it with too many layers, so it will skip stitches when doing so.  The 111w is good because it is very versatile- I can make denim jeans, a leather jacket or fix military canvas surplus.  The  machines that look like the most promising replacements are the Class 20, the 1508 and the Thor 1541s GC which has a speed reducer.  Would the 1508 or the Class 20 be too much for the regular upholstery fabric/denim?

Thank you for any insights or responses

I have a second job sewing part time making blackout window blinds. They have an extended body Consew 206RB-18, which does a great job on ballistic material and Velcro. It has a large M style bobbin and uses system 135x17 needles. They ordered it with a servo motor that has a simple speed limiter knob. It can sew long or short stitches and forward and reverse match. That would definitely be an upgrade from your Singer 111. The 18 inch body is a blessing with wide material.