NoelMc

Sewing Machines

Good Morning

I am at the stage in my leatherwork of wanting a DECENT sewing machine. I have tried Singer 4423...enough on that "machine for leather???".

Can I have some direction please on what brand,  model etc I should look for in Australia for sewing leather up to say, 10mm thick. I have asked Google and I am a bit

confused especially when they continue to mention Singer4423 and the like. I am retired so nothing too expensive, say up to $3000. Used/reconditioned would be fine as well.

Thanks

Noel

2 hours ago, NoelMc said:

I am at the stage in my leatherwork of wanting a DECENT sewing machine.

Your industrial upholstery class machines like the Juki 1541S can handle up to 3/8" thick or 9.5 mm. To regularly go beyond that you will need to move up into the 441 class machine. The price of a Juki TSC 441 in North America is north of $9000 cad. So a more reasonable cost option for the a 441 class machine are the clones like Cowboy or Cobra to name a couple in the $2500 cad to $3500 cad range. Another option may also be the one arm bandits like Cowboy Outlaw or the Tippmann Boss both around the $1500 US price range.

To help with machine suggestions, what do you want to sew and with what size thread?

Remember no one machine will do everything.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

Welcome Noel

You have come to the right place as we have some great Australians on the forum who can give you advice on machines that are local to Australia

this link on the forum will give you some good information on what machines to buy 

On 12/5/2021 at 7:26 AM, NoelMc said:

Good Morning

I am at the stage in my leatherwork of wanting a DECENT sewing machine. I have tried Singer 4423...enough on that "machine for leather???".

Can I have some direction please on what brand,  model etc I should look for in Australia for sewing leather up to say, 10mm thick. I have asked Google and I am a bit

confused especially when they continue to mention Singer4423 and the like. I am retired so nothing too expensive, say up to $3000. Used/reconditioned would be fine as well.

Thanks

Noel

Various differnt reviews are exist, just try to google. This is one of them https://www.craftyhangouts.com/best-sewing-machine-for-leather . They also write about Singer and most of the machines are less then $3000

59 minutes ago, MaryD98765 said:

Poor review.

kgg

I am using a cowboy sewing machine and am satisfied with it. but now I need a sewing table for cutting. Anyone who has personal experience please suggest to me one of these.

7 hours ago, MaryD98765 said:

So, You can suggest a better one?

Sadly, I haven't been able to find any independent comparison side-by-side reviews of the various industrial sewing machines whether they are brand name or clone. This is a real shame as most people really don't know the difference of one class of industrial machine from another, the difference between a domestic / domestic heavy duty from a industrial fabric or industrial leather machine, the various machines abilities or their short comings. The consumer is then left with few options of having too decipher specifications on their own and take a best guess stab at it which can be a costly, frustrating mistake or rely on less then stellar reviews.

I think the more informed consumer at least asks here on this site for some guidance when wanting to purchase a machine (new or used) for their particular needs / wants. This form has a lot of individuals from around the globe that have a lifetime of hands on experience, many with different classes of machines manufactured by just about every company out here.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Sadly, I haven't been able to find any independent comparison side-by-side reviews of the various industrial sewing machines whether they are brand name or clone. This is a real shame as most people really don't know the difference of one class of industrial machine from another, the difference between a domestic / domestic heavy duty from a industrial fabric or industrial leather machine, the various machines abilities or their short comings. The consumer is then left with few options of having too decipher specifications on their own and take a best guess stab at it which can be a costly, frustrating mistake or rely on less then stellar reviews.

I think the more informed consumer at least asks here on this site for some guidance when wanting to purchase a machine (new or used) for their particular needs / wants. This form has a lot of individuals from around the globe that have a lifetime of hands on experience, many with different classes of machines manufactured by just about every company out here.

kgg

I tend to agree but folk are just like car owners, there car is perfect for the job, which is why we get my machine xxx is perfect and is therefore better than clone xxx, lets face it there are only a tiny few bad machines around, any of the popular makes will be good and do the job well, But how on earth a non professional person sort out say the benefits, of say the Juki flatbeds which claim to be leather and heavy duty is beyond me, so many models nearly the same, but different codes. And then tie it up with owners who want to sew 1oz to 20 oz

Also the two camps many if not most quality brands never use different coloured thread in their designs whilst  many leather workers seem to prefer making the thread colour stand out, funny world we live in

On 12/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, NoelMc said:

Good Morning

Thanks

Noel

Just a quick comment here . . . I bought my Tippmann Boss about 20 years or so ago . . . and have had a few minor problems with it . . . all were resolved either by myself or by the Tippmann company folks. 

It will sew everything from 207 thread up to 415 . . . I almost exclusively use 346.  AND . . . it will sew up to and including 3/4 inch of dry veg tanned leather.  I never sew it that thick . . . but I do use it to make and space the holes for stuff 5/8 or thicker . . . then I come back and hand stitch that stuff.  It looks better in my estimation.

I sew belts, holsters, knife sheaths, rifle scabbards chaps, purses . . .  and even tossed in a couple billfolds with it.

One must have a good right arm . . . and be willing to pull the handle for each stitch . . . and you must be willing to mess with it a while when you change thread to get it to sew correctly.

All in all . . . for the price I paid . . . I would do it again.  AND . . . since Tippmann has some serious competition now in that machine . . . their price is now down to the $1000 range here in the states.

Starting out now. . . it would be my choice . . . 

But today at 77 . . . I'm looking to go to a Cowboy 3200 simply because my arm is tired of pulling the handle.

May God bless,

Dwight

I really pity a new person to the hobby trying to find a machine particularly when they see reviews on the web with titles like "the best leather sewing machines" and the machines are domestic fabric machines.

kgg

@NoelMc Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  There are lots of posts in this forum about different machines.  Also as mentioned above, look through the thread by Wiz.  "The Type Of Sewing Machine You Need To Sew Leather"

Lots of very knowledgeable people frequent this forum.

Noel, welcome to THE forum for leatherwork (and information about industrial leather sewing machines :)). Note the word "industrial", in the review Mary linked to they are all domestic machines, with the exception of the Juki 8700, and that is a fabric machine. I doubt if anyone here would consider them as suitable for serious leatherwork. 

The first question, as has been asked already, is what do you want to sew? That will determine what will be suggested as a suitable machine.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, NoelMc said:

Good Morning

Thanks

Noel

For belts and wallets and a machine that If I had to pick only one to start off with..... I would have a hard look at one of these. They are here in Australia and the price is good. There are a few more videos I have done using this machine on purses and such as well .