MtlBiker

Cricut Maker?

Costco (Canada) is currently running a special promotion on the Cricut Maker...  I'd never heard of this thing before and after taking a closer look, must say it looks interesting.  I also found out that the Costco special is on the older model of this, not the newest Cricut Maker3.  But the device certainly does look interesting, especially the newer one.

Does anyone here use one or have experience with one?  How do you use it?  The blurb on the website says it can also cut matboard... does anyone know if that includes cutting mat openings (windows) on a bevel like a proper picture framing mat? 

I'm thinking it might be great for cutting leather and various fabrics accurately.  Maybe also for producing templates on some kind of plastic.

Opinions?

My wife has 3. They have memory modules you buy with fonts and designs. Newer ones download designs from internet or computer. Primarily for stick-on vinyl and iron on designs. Don’t think they will cut deep enough for leather. Another similar brand cuts cardboard 3 d puzzles. I think they are closing out the stand alone models and only supporting the online fed type. The new formats only run on the new models. Has a cardboard gummed mat that the material sticks to. Stylus and mat both move around. 

The Maker 3 appears top be far more versatile and capable than any of their older versions. Supposedly it can got leather up to 2mm thick. Rather slow and a relatively small size capacity (12"x24) so it's for one-offs and prototyping/development work at best I guess. I'm quite tempted to get one, but it would mostly be for one-off stencils and short batches of packaging rather than cutting out leather. 

I have one & its great for what it is, yes it will cut matboard but the blade is straight down so you wont get a bevel.

I have cut leather up to 2mm thick & 11inch wide, - handy for doing tricky filigree work 

I use the engrave function to score out small areas for tooling as my tracing skill is "limited"

I have a maker 2 model which is slightly slower & has a slightly reduced width on vinyl products to cut. 

I use the engrave function on copper foil for accents in leather projects.

For solely use in leather craft it is limited, but if you do other craft too (card, fabric, vinyl) then  its a great little tool 

I thought the older models only cut designs from the modules ( fonts, figures). So unless you are doing Hello Kitty holsters not sure what designs you would have access to. 

Not something I've paid much attention too but over on a plastic model making website there are some people who use their Cricut to make self-adhesive masks for covering model parts for spray painting. afaik they draw the masks up in their computer

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used an Ellison Die cutter for leather? These are manual cutters with letter, figure, etc dies bought separately to cut paper and card stock. Wonder how thick leather these would cut? Had one where I used to work - meant to try leather.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:23 PM, 327fed said:

I thought the older models only cut designs from the modules ( fonts, figures). So unless you are doing Hello Kitty holsters not sure what designs you would have access to. 

Only the very old models that are not sold any more use this method

the maker or explore machines are pc / app driven, you have to use the Cricut software but can get any image in to the software 

The OP did say he was looking at the older model. Yes, the new model operates from the company “cloud”. Seems like you have to pay for every design you get from the “cloud”. And pay for the design software . Maybe even reprinting your own design you have to pay. Those in large cities have adequate bandwidth to do this. I have satellite internet and can’t even read this forum when it is raining heavily. I am sure some  others on this forum would rather not connect to the “cloud” every time they cut out a key ring. Just wanted the OP to realize the possible limitations of a close out model. 

Yes you have to pay for their designs, no you don’t have to pay for the software & it can be run offline.

you can do your own drawings on any free software, such as Inkscape and then import in to the Cricut software.

I agree that a “must be online option” is a pain, which is why I don’t like the glowforge system but it’s not required for the Cricut 

My wife has an older one, not sure of the model. Wouldn't cut thin leather very well..

Cricut’s site says its $9.99 a month if you access it over 20 times a month. 

Maybe Cricut access it’s different in the US, OP will no doubt look into it 

15 hours ago, 327fed said:

Cricut’s site says its $9.99 a month if you access it over 20 times a month. 

Really? They must be hiding that in the small print somewhere. This is the UK version of their page about the paid and free accounts. I wonder if you could point me to where they have that? I'm intending to buy a Cricut and run it on my own drawn pathways but not keen to pay every month for the privilege of using a machine I bought outright. :thinking:

cricut.jpg

Sorry. I am in the US and that’s on the US page. Many things differ on different continents. Another marketing group handles the US sales. Change went into effect in March 2021 I believe. https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/22332212/cricut-crafting-machine-design-space-upload-limit

Edited by 327fed