MtlBiker

Stand-Alone Bobbin Winder?

I'm thinking of getting a stand-alone bobbin winder.... yes, my machines all have integrated winders, but quite often I just don't feel like unthreading/rethreading the machine just to wind a bobbin or two.  I'd also like to wind bobbins faster.

Are there any makes/models you folks recommend?  I'd like to get something that could work with both style "M" bobbins as well as class 15 (standard?).  Two of my machines use M and two 15.

Thanks.

One option is to have a domestic machine on hand. I don't know what diameter hole M is but as long as it is the same then a domestic machine can do the winding for you.

All my machines use the same bobbin [15 class] so I use a cheap Singer clone machine for bobbin winding. I got the machine in a charity [thrift] shop for £10 as a 'non-runner' [needle was down, bent and jammed in the dogs]

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

One option is to have a domestic machine on hand. I don't know what diameter hole M is but as long as it is the same then a domestic machine can do the winding for you.

One of my machines is a domestic, but I still use it for a lot of stuff and don't want to dedicate it to winding bobbins.  Plus it would be awkward to attach a big spool of v92 thread to it.  Plus I'm not sure it would even work with my type M bobbins.  I guess I'm just lazy... I don't want to unthread/rethread a machine just to wind bobbins.  I think I'm going to take a chance on one of those fairly cheap winders on Amazon (Canada) that cost about $65 or so.  If it doesn't work well, I will not have wasted to much money.

17 minutes ago, dikman said:

There have been a few posts about people making their own.

I tried a couple of search terms and "winder" was the best but none of the results were useful.  I stopped looking at results after 4-5 pages.  I'm probably going to get one of the cheap ones off Amazon, and if I do, I'll report back with the results.  But delivery is estimated to be as long as March.  SIGH. 

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Plus it would be awkward to attach a big spool of v92 thread to it. 

There are standalone cone stands, and they are cheap.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

going to take a chance on one of those fairly cheap winders on Amazon (Canada) that cost about $65 or so

$65 sounds like a lot of money for a winder, from my perspective, because I am spoiled by the availability of domestic machines that I keep picking up from the curb. I have approximately 4 running machines to pick from, after having sold and given away a few. IMO they are a much cheaper and more versatile alternative to a winder. The latest one I got was Kenmore with all accessories, including half a dozen zigzag programming wheels, buttonhole attachment, feet, needles, tools and Eng/Fre manuals, all in the drawers of its nice table that only lacked rollers. The 2nd last one was a cast-iron Brother. There was a Singer before that, and the list goes on and on. All came in carry cases or on tables that I now use under my lathe and drill press. If one keeps their eyes open, in Canada, there are plenty of unwanted machines to save from landfill.

A while ago I sold one on Ebay to a lady who turned out to be my kid's classmate's mother. She was ecstatic to be able to buy a cast-iron Singer with zigzag wheels for CDN$40, and to pick it up. I did not tell her where I'd gotten the machine from. Then I gave another similar machine away, to a co-worker whose wife just had a baby, and they needed baby clothes and curtains made. They had no idea that they could get away without spending $200-300 on a machine. Canadians in general are very green and environmental, but most of them only do a lip service to that cause. Considering by how much one can reduce environmental pollution by simply re-using a still perfectly running sewing machine, circular saw, lawnmower etc, they could do a lot better but all they really do is outsource the imposition of carbon tax to Ottawa. End of rant.

Edited by DrmCa

17 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

There are standalone cone stands, and they are cheap.

$65 sounds like a lot of money for a winder, from my perspective, because I am spoiled by the availability of domestic machines that I keep picking up from the curb. I have approximately 4 running machines to pick from, after having sold and given away a few. IMO they are a much cheaper and more versatile alternative to a winder. The latest one I got was Kenmore with all accessories, including half a dozen zigzag programming wheels, buttonhole attachment, feet, needles, tools and Eng/Fre manuals, all in the drawers of its nice table that only lacked rollers. The 2nd last one was a cast-iron Brother. There was a Singer before that, and the list goes on and on. All came in carry cases or on tables that I now use under my lathe and drill press. If one keeps their eyes open, in Canada, there are plenty of unwanted machines to save from landfill.

A while ago I sold one on Ebay to a lady who turned out to be my kid's classmate's mother. She was ecstatic to be able to buy a cast-iron Singer with zigzag wheels for CDN$40, and to pick it up. I did not tell her where I'd gotten the machine from. Then I gave another similar machine away, to a co-worker whose wife just had a baby, and they needed baby clothes and curtains made. They had no idea that they could get away without spending $200-300 on a machine. Canadians in general are very green and environmental, but most of them only do a lip service to that cause. Considering by how much one can reduce environmental pollution by simply re-using a still perfectly running sewing machine, circular saw, lawnmower etc, they could do a lot better but all they really do is outsource the imposition of carbon tax to Ottawa. End of rant.

Geez, you sound like an incredible shopper and bargain hunter!  Around where I live, I've never seen a sewing machine put out on the curb.  In any case, I thought $65 was fairly cheap, compared with many I found on the web (and one dealer websites) which are $300 and one was even $400-something.  I couldn't believe it, especially since it looked just like one on Amazon for $65.  I'm also in a space crunch and think that a stand-alone winder would be easier to put away and even when being used it can sit on part of one of my sewing tables.

Maybe I'll hold off on buying one for awhile.

Out of curiosity, you list your location as Ontario... are you in a rural area or a big city?  (I'm in Montreal.)

Cheers!

I am on the outskirts of GTA.

bought one on Ebay. brand: Kung Fu King. it works great. really got it because of the funny name. looks just like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384661036151?hash=item598f959c77:g:oDAAAOSwQ51h1ldu

It just occurred to me that in the past I had turned an adapter to put a winder shaft in line with a domestic motor shaft, so that it can be pedal-driven. It worked for a while until I got a spare machine. If only I could remember where I stored it...

11 hours ago, 1hp said:

bought one on Ebay. brand: Kung Fu King. it works great. really got it because of the funny name. looks just like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384661036151?hash=item598f959c77:g:oDAAAOSwQ51h1ldu

Thank you.  That's the kind of winder I've been looking at on Amazon (Canada).  That ebay one is plus (quite high) shipping to Canada, making it about the same price as from Amazon.  And with Amazon Prime I get free delivery plus the ability to return it hassle free.  I haven't pulled the plug on it yet but I'm tempted.

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

These are my DIY winder - I also have one more for the large 132K6 bobbins.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/75580-diy-electric-bobbin-winder-singer-111-and-45k-type-bobbins/

Nicely done!  And I DO have a spare brand new servo motor I could use.  I'm sure I could buy that kind of winder from someone like Techsew (local to me) but one of the considerations for me is space and weight of the finished unit.  I'm really tight on space and something like you made would be much harder to find a place for.  But I'm sure it would give a better result.  The other small stand-alone winders (like the one linked to above) could be put away in a drawer when not in use.  My sewing "toys" have already taken up 1.5 guest rooms and my latest Sailrite LSZ-1 with folding table is in my living room.  :)  Good thing I don't have a wife.  (I guess that's good AND bad.   SIGH)

This is my diy winder

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I'm sure I could buy that kind of winder from someone like Techsew (local to me) but one of the considerations for me is space and weight of the finished unit. 

I bought an industrial table winder from Techsew, I think it was only $20 CDN. It basically works, but it's poorly made. The axle hole in the pulley is drilled off-centre, which makes the bobbin wobble side to side, like a bike wheel that's out of true. It winds a bobbin though, so I guess I can't complain for the price.

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

These are my DIY winder - I also have one more for the large 132K6 bobbins.

It's a perfect design, IMO. If it feels too slow for anyone, the motor can be replaced with one from a vacuum cleaner with or without a thyristor speed controller:

e6a30268-02db-41dd-a67d-92e8bafa055d_1.7