Klara

Honing kitchen knives

Sorry, couldn't find an off-leather-topic section where the question would fit: Am I right in thinking that kitchen knives are honed with the infamous steel rod thingy, because the steel is considered more hygienic than a leather strop? Because I've never seen or heard/read about a leather strop in a kitchen. My problem is just that I'm dubious about the quality of my steel (bought it ages ago when I hardly knew anything about knives, and cheaply), so I'd prefer to hone my new knives on my strop - and I guess there's no reason not to do it, or is there? (I'm only cooking for myself, I'm not poisoning anybody else...)

Every now and then i sharpen my kitchen knives using my stone, strops i use for my leather knives and other leather cutting tools i just make sure i give them a good wash after and i am still here so it works for me. 

Hope this helps

JCUK 

50 minutes ago, Klara said:

Sorry, couldn't find an off-leather-topic section where the question would fit: Am I right in thinking that kitchen knives are honed with the infamous steel rod thingy, because the steel is considered more hygienic than a leather strop? Because I've never seen or heard/read about a leather strop in a kitchen. My problem is just that I'm dubious about the quality of my steel (bought it ages ago when I hardly knew anything about knives, and cheaply), so I'd prefer to hone my new knives on my strop - and I guess there's no reason not to do it, or is there? (I'm only cooking for myself, I'm not poisoning anybody else...)

nope you can strop your kitchen knives if you want. wash them after ward. Steels are used for a couple of reasons one being because they wont get wet greasy etc and get ruined in the kitchen or butcher shop. A strop was originally used for razors, they are super hard and brittle steel, they were used to remove, straighten and polish the minute steel edge that forms when sharpening. A steel was used for the less hard  knife steels, both do similar jobs on different types of steel. You can polish an edge on a number of things, i have several glass rods that i use also for the same purpose. Sharpening is what you do to get the edge, stropping or honing polishes and keeps the edge sharp until it wears to the point of having to re-sharpen again.

Edited by chuck123wapati

The metal rod doesn't have anything to do with hygiene. It doesn't do the same job as lets say a stone or a strop with compound on it. Those remove metal and polish the edge. The rod on the other hand does not remove metal. It is used to re-align the microscopic "feathers" on the edge that form from normal use of the blade. I don't see any reason not to use a strop if you think it needs it, but in between uses the rod should be sufficient.

Thanks, guys!

If you are SOME KIND OF serious about sharp knives in the kitchen.

Sharpen em with a stone . . . several really . . . getting finer as you go.

When you get all you can there . . . go to a cotton polishing wheel . . .  put some polishing compound on it . . .  and polish them there knives.

THAT's sharp . . . just watch your fingers.

I use one on my pocket knife . . .  and it works super.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm new here.  So hello folks.  Now that I've awkwardly said hello...

You are describing a "hone steel"  they are very common in kitchens.  It's primarily used to quickly knock the burrs off an edge.  Also, a real proper hone steel will be finer than most any stone you can find.  For at least the past 50 years, my father has used a Schrade Old Timer honesteel as his final step on sharpening pocketknife's.  I'd personally say a strop would be the last step.  For that super final polish.  You typically don't see strop's in kitchens.  But you absolutely do in barber shops!  Klara, as you are talking about your personal kitchen knifes, not in a professional kitchen.  I'd honestly recommend a few things.   First thing, I'm quite sure some have told you to get a proper bench type whetstone setup, and learn to sharpen by hand.  Yes, that's a fantastic skill, and it carries on to many things in life.  However, it does take time and practice to learn it.   For simple pocket knifes, to kitchen knifes, I use the Lansky system.  I've been using this for almost 30 years now.  And finding it for you on Amazon france was kinda strange.  But here you go.

https://amzn.eu/d/hFEpqee

Follow the directions, and it will easily put a surgical edge on all your cutlery.  You can then finish with a strop for the best edge possible.  I use this on all my wife's kitchen knifes.  And yes I strop them as well.

I use Tormek sharpeners for cutlery, I have one set up with a standard stone and another set up with the Japanese stone. After sharpening on the stones they are polished on the leather honing wheel. It’s a great system and the knives are very sharp when done.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:51 AM, JRodz said:

I use Tormek sharpeners for cutlery, I have one set up with a standard stone and another set up with the Japanese stone. After sharpening on the stones they are polished on the leather honing wheel. It’s a great system and the knives are very sharp when done.

Another thumbs up for the Tormek. Have my T-4 for years and it does a great job producing quality edges quickly. Aside from kitchen knives, I've sharpened my skivers, quarter round and half round punches, scissors, etc. 

Edited by Nikos69