Treesner

150$ bench top burnishing machine

anyone tried these cheap burnishers from amazon? I watched a YouTube review on one and he said it worked great. the other cheap option I've seen in the harbor freight polishing machine then attaching a wood burnisher and a sanding wheel which comes out to about the same price 

https://amzn.to/3s4Prin

71Jd2C5VvTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

All of these versions are pretty underpowered especially at low speeds, but if you have a price point and aren't doing all day battle they work OK.

10,000 RPM? My burnisher goes 3,000 and is probably twice as fast as I'd like it just for burnishing veg tan. Very easy to burn rather than burnish at that speed. There is a speed controller fitted but it's probably the basic type that massively cuts power with speed (and, as Bruce says above) it's not exactly overendowed in that department to start with.

I'd also question what's the duty cycle? Motor housing looks pretty slim, which comparing with similar induction motors probably means a 50% duty cycle of <20 minutes (i.e. run for 20 minutes, leave it off to cool for 20). It may suit those doing one project an evening but I'd prefer to save my money a bit longer and get something with a bit more grunt and versatility at 2-3 times the price.

ETA: the first one looks like a brushed motor, which can be noisy to the ear and electrical devices.

Edited by Matt S

I have one of the chinese ones and it does work.. I do think I get a bit of wobble out of it and probably a balancing issue.  I am thinking about going to a dremel attached burnisher so its not fixed horizontally..

Edited by ToddW

I bought a Harbor Freight grinder/polisher that I tried to outfit as a burnisher but it just wobbled waaay too much and I'm no machinist to troubleshoot. Now I just use the buffer once in a while.  Did great on my shoes! LOL.  Finally my beautiful bride bought me the dremel and that's worked out great. I clamp it to different positions and it works fine for my hobby needs. 

I found an Emerson Electric Manufacturing co motor with Sears and roebuck 1/2 in arbors on it for $20 at a garage sale. It had a wire brush and buffer wheel on it. So quiet, plenty powerfull, lots of torque for an old motor. Ran an add on next door for a wood Turner and got a pretty decent burnisher with 5/8, 1/2, and so on done in maple for a $40 donation to a local charity.  1750 rpm, works fine.

11 hours ago, Treesner said:

anyone tried these cheap burnishers from amazon?

I considered one of those but decided to go with a heavier robust motor setup. Which I outlined in the topic " DIY Burnisher / Sander ".

kgg