I see no other way to do this without hand sewing..  there’s just not enough loop to move out the way for the presser foot.  Besides lining up the two lines and hitting the spot dead on is turning out to be impossible. Also by the time I punch holes in the strap it takes all the integrity out of it. I’m usind 4 oz for the strap. I’m going back to my old way.  1/16 drill bit and 2 needles. It’s 3/8 on the belt and 5/8 on the strap.  I feel it’s the only way to keep from maring up my gunbelt. Needs to be clean and unmared.  I thought this machine would put an end to hand stitchin. Hmmmmm.  

Edited by Thescandall

Unless your customer is a smurf, why torture yourself? Make pouches for speed strips.

4 hours ago, Thescandall said:

I see no other way to do this without hand sewing..  there’s just not enough loop to move out the way for the presser foot.  Besides lining up the two lines and hitting the spot dead on is turning out to be impossible. Also by the time I punch holes in the strap it takes all the integrity out of it. I’m usind 4 oz for the strap. I’m going back to my old way.  1/16 drill bit and 2 needles. It’s 3/8 on the belt and 5/8 on the strap.  I feel it’s the only way to keep from maring up my gunbelt. Needs to be clean and unmared.  I thought this machine would put an end to hand stitchin. Hmmmmm.  

THIS is the way to do .22 loops . . .  and I do all my other loops the same way . . . stitched a few here and there . . . stitching never works as well for me. 

This process . . . I can do the loops in about the same time either way . . . but this makes a better project in my opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

22 loopa.jpg

I really want to try this technique. I think it looks very clean. I struggle with sewn on belt loops. I guess I just dont make that ma y of that kind of belt. Mostly 5 to 6 shot belt sets.

26 minutes ago, Hags said:

I really want to try this technique. I think it looks very clean. I struggle with sewn on belt loops. I guess I just dont make that ma y of that kind of belt. Mostly 5 to 6 shot belt sets.

It is really pretty easy to do . . . you simply punch holes with an oval punch . . . and thread the bullet loop material out  . . . then back thru the same hole.

Not sure who first showed me this . . . but it's about the only way I do them any more.

Here are pictures of my little models that have all my notes on em.  The most important thing is when you cut the leather for the loops . . . cut it a 1/16 of an inch wider than the hole.  

You also make sure it is wet when you do this . . . not sopping, drippy wet . . . just a tad more than "in case" for stamping.  Pull it thru . . . make the loop . . . slip a cartridge in the loop . . . pull it tight.  I leave the cartridges in there for a good 1/2 hour . . . then gingerly slip them out . . . 

You can see of course that I do 2 layer belts . . . but you can simply put this together . . . and I'm of the opinion you would not "have to have" the liner . . . although it looks better.

Anyway . . . have fun . . . PM me if you have any quesions.

May God bless,

Dwight

cartridge example 1.jpg

cartridge example 2.jpg

cartridge example 3.jpg

cartridge example 4.jpg

Thank you!

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the pictorial!!  Why are the .22's spaced out so far?  I'm working on a belt and holster right now for an Uberti/Colt SAA in .45LC.  The .22 will be next, for a Smith K-22 I got in 1965.

God bless

That particular holster was built for my wife's uncle in Ky . . . he did a lot of ginseng hunting . . . always packed his .22 revolver.

Because of his age . . . to make it easier for him . . . and his arthritis . . . was the spacing reasoning.  They can be done closer . . . 

My little model in the picture above is pretty much how I've done them in the past . . . never had any problems with them . . . and that "tad" of extra leather between each one I figured would help keep the rigidity of the belt.  And besides . . . if you did em up touching each other . . . on a 30 inch belt . . . you would have over 60 cartridges . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

It is really pretty easy to do . . . you simply punch holes with an oval punch . . . and thread the bullet loop material out  . . . then back thru the same hole.

Not sure who first showed me this . . . but it's about the only way I do them any more.

Here are pictures of my little models that have all my notes on em.  The most important thing is when you cut the leather for the loops . . . cut it a 1/16 of an inch wider than the hole.  

You also make sure it is wet when you do this . . . not sopping, drippy wet . . . just a tad more than "in case" for stamping.  Pull it thru . . . make the loop . . . slip a cartridge in the loop . . . pull it tight.  I leave the cartridges in there for a good 1/2 hour . . . then gingerly slip them out . . . 

You can see of course that I do 2 layer belts . . . but you can simply put this together . . . and I'm of the opinion you would not "have to have" the liner . . . although it looks better.

Anyway . . . have fun . . . PM me if you have any quesions.

May God bless,

Dwight

cartridge example 1.jpg

cartridge example 2.jpg

cartridge example 3.jpg

cartridge example 4.jpg

I make cartridge belt slides using the same basic technique. For small cartridges like the 22 LR and 22 Mag, I use lighter leather, about 3-4 ounce.

Meh.  I went ahead and hand stitched it. Lucky #13. Just in case ya need 1 more:gun:

394E90CD-8C41-4FA9-AD7A-7917279F424C.jpeg